3. Baby Talk

Thursday arrives faster than I thought it would. I'm sitting in the kitchen debating what I should have for breakfast while I wait for Josh to finish getting ready when my phone rings on the kitchen counter. I sigh, picking it up and seeing the station's number pop up on the screen. Evidently Josh's insistence that I wasn't working this week wasn't clear enough.

"Morning" I greet my boss in frustration. He was the last person I wanted to talk to this morning.

"Someone's grumpy. The baby already giving you trouble?" A smile tugs at my lips as I realize the caller is actually one of my best friends, Lola.

"Lol, I thought you were gonna be-."

"I'm sure you did think that with how angry he's been since his conversation with your man" she laughs. "He's been on a rampage but I gotta give it up to Josh for standing up to him" she concedes.

I smile, nodding my head. "I know. I was sorta mad at him at first but I know he just did it because he loves me."

"Of course he did! That man would do anything to keep you safe. Do you not remember the time where he went toe to toe with your ex who also happened to be a big, scary drug dealer."

"Oh trust me, I remember" I reply. Three years later and I was still sure I'd never forget the fear I felt that night when everything went down. The sound of the gunshot still rung in my ears like it was yesterday.

"Sorry. Anyway, you're pregnant! Maya this is huge, I'm so happy for you guys. I know it hasn't been easy."

I scoff. "That would be the understatement of the century" I sigh as Josh begins down the steps wearing a white v neck and black skinny jeans. I'm taken back to my childhood crush seeing him in the outfit, reminded why I found him so damn hot. "Look, I gotta go or we'll be late for our appointment. Talk later?"

"Sounds good. I should actually get some work done anyway" she adds making my chuckle before we hang up.

I look towards Josh and smile. "Hey babe."

"Don't babe me. You didn't eat did you?" he asks, crossing his arms over his chest. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth and sigh.

"Maybe not" I concede and he chuckles.

"What am I gonna do with you?" he asks as he walks towards me, wrapping his arms around my waist and I smile as I link mine behind his neck.

"You can start by kissing me then maybe tacos for lunch." He smiles, pecking my lips.

"Anything for you baby."

~ 🚔 ~

Lunch is delicious and soon enough we're heading towards the doctor's office. "I'm nervous" I admit as we get closer and closer.

"It's normal to be nervous, especially after what we went through" he assures me. "But you know I'm right here next to you" he smiles, squeezing my hand comfortingly as we pull into the parking lot.

We climb out of the car and head inside hand in hand and I take a shaky breath as walk towards the reception desk. "Hi" a chipper woman greets us.

"Hi, um Maya Hunter" I tell her and she smiles as she begins typing in my name.

"Here you are! Oh goodness it's your first appointment, is this your first child?" she asks and I bring my lip between my teeth.