26. Forever Us

The doctor gives me a clean bill of health and checks the babies over and finds that they're content as ever which of course, Zeke is thrilled about. I insisted that I could get checked out alone but he assured me that Josh would actually, physically kill him if he left me alone. So, he was sat beside me while the doctor told me what I already knew.

I'm perfectly fine.

But Josh wasn't. I wouldn't agree to be checked out until someone told me about Josh's condition and finally, a nurse who appeared to be right out of college, came over to me and assured me that they were doing everything they could. He was in surgery though and they wouldn't know more until later.

"Keep an eye on her" the doctor tells Zeke. My friends offers the woman a comforting smile and assures her that he'll keep me from attacking medical professionals for a semblance of information.

We're dismissed to the waiting room after that and unlike Zeke, I can't sit. I'm pacing back and forth, almost boring a hole into the floor. "Honey, worrying won't help him." I ignore him though. I couldn't lose him.

This wasn't how tonight was supposed to go. He was supposed to go home with me. We were supposed to leave this world behind and start our family together. And now there was the possibility that I'd be doing it all alone. "How is she?" I hear Lola's voice but I don't dare look at her. I can't bear the sympathy. "Maya." I shy away from her touch and start down the adjoining hallway.

I needed to get away from everyone.

I find myself in the chapel, a place almost foreign to me. I wasn't a very religious person, up until a few years ago I didn't even believe in hope.

I take a seat in a pew in the middle of the chapel, putting a generous amount of distance between myself and an older woman holding a rosary between her fingers. I wondered what was plaguing her.

"Hey." I'd know that voice anywhere.

I look up and find Riley standing at the end of the pew and I nearly burst into tears. The girl that had seen me at my very lowest and loved me not despite my flaws but because of them. My absolute best friend and the only person besides Josh that I wanted right now. "Riley." Her name is soft as a feather on my lips and she's immediately rushing towards me and wrapping her arms around me.

"It's okay. It's all gonna be okay" she says soothingly, rubbing her hands down my arms. And unlike Zeke and Lola, bless them, she doesn't pry. She knows I'm not the type to talk before I'm ready.

We sit there for what feels like years until a middle-aged man in scrubs appears at the door. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I was looking for Joshua Matthews' family." I realize in that moment that the chapel has cleared out in our time here.

I stand up and wipe my eyes as I step towards the doctor. "I'm Maya Hunter, his fiancée. Is he going to be alright?"

"He made it through surgery and he's just waking up from the anesthetic. The bullet missed all the vital organs and we were able to remove it without issue. It won't be instantaneous but he'll recover." I let out a breath of relief, a fresh batch of tears rolling down my eyes.

"Thank you." Riley says for me. "When can she see him?"

"Well, his parents went in just before I came to find you-."

"Parents?" I ask, the word dying on my lips. Josh's parents were here.

Lovely.

*************************************************************************************

When my eyes struggle open I expect to be met with the bright blue eyes of my girl...but instead my bed is surrounded by my parents. "W-what?" The words are hard to get out, my throat feels dry as a damn desert.