24. A Plan in Motion

Friday night. Why did it always seem to come down to a Friday night? I could remember another Friday night, one I'd tried my best not to think about in the years since but something about tonight and the mission at hand made it impossible not to think about.

Back then the only thing that had mattered was Josh finding me, I knew that as long as he found me that we would be both be fine no matter the consequences. I certainly wouldn't have thought all that time ago that we'd end up back in the exact same situation only in reverse.

"Hey." I had apparently spaced off again. I'd been doing that a lot in the time leading up to tonight and it hadn't gone unnoticed by my new houseguest.

I had to beg and plead far longer than should've been necessary to get the DEA to allow Zeke in on the mission but I had stood my ground, stating that the mission wouldn't move forward without him.

He was on the first bus to Albany after I'd gotten him clearance.

"Hi." I reply shortly, realizing too in that moment that my too hot coffee was still in hand practically scalding my skin. Zeke moves towards me and takes the mug, placing it onto the counter.

"You were spacing out again." He states sadly. I nod and his lips turn into a frown as he pulls me into his arms.

I could almost imagine him doing the same for Josh all those years ago when it was the morning of my rescue. Zeke had been a good friend all these years, distance or not, and I was so incredibly glad to have him with me today. "Thanks for being here Zeke." I murmur, tightening my grip on him.

He kisses the top of my head. "Nowhere else I'd rather be." He replies and the two of part, looking at each other intently before the gaze seemingly becomes too much and he's forced to look away. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Everything okay?" I ask, taking a step back and picking up my coffee. Of course, I mean the question in a general sense. Everything couldn't be okay with Josh missing.

"Remember when I came to visit a while back, with Sadie?" I nod my head. I remembered it well. He had told me that he was getting cold feet already, not that it shocked me too much. Neither Josh nor I ever thought that the two of them were a good match. He exhales deeply. "We broke things off."

My eyes widen and my mug hovers in mid-air, my hand around the handle as I stare at my friend. "You did what?" My mug finally pounds onto the counter with a thud.

"I know." He rubs the back of his neck the same way Josh does and it pierces straight through my heart. I didn't know what to say right now, Josh would know though. "I just couldn't pretend anymore. She's so great; kind, funny, stunningly gorgeous and she has the kindest heart but she never understood me. She never liked my lifestyle and I never once thought of giving it up for her. We're gonna be the best damn co-parents this world has ever seen but we can't be together. It's not fair to any of us."

I couldn't believe it. It was what we had been wanting Zeke to see for months and finally, he had. "I'm really happy for you Zeke."

He looks taken aback and a soft scoff tumbles from his lips. "You're happy that I ended my engagement?"

I shake my head. "I'm happy that you chose your own happiness. A baby isn't a reason to stay with someone and I have no doubt that you will be the best dad ever."

A soft smile tugs at his lips. "You really think so?"

I shove him playfully. "Don't act like you're shocked that I'd say such a thing."

"I'm not. It's just...well, you and Josh are our best friends and you know, if anything were to happen to us we were thinking-."

I put my hand up to stop him, feeling the tears welling up already. "Nope. Do not ask that of me, not right now. I'm too hormonal and besides, Josh should get to be asked personally. Not an extended offer through me." Zeke nods his head understandably and as nice as the morning has been, it's slipping away quickly. "We should probably get to the station."