Chapter 03

Note: I have been waiting to post the video linked with this song for like a week now which probably doesn't seem long but it's been killing me because it reminds me so much of Melkin now ahh. I recommend watching it. I spent at least 20-30 mins debating if I was going to put it as the chapter song for ch. 2 because I was so excited. But I usually spend that long on deciding chapter music in general lol. It's also the song that Lacey was first dancing to in the last chapter (but that was a slower version of it). 

Okay, back to the story.  Strap in. Here we go.

____

There were about ten of us that headed down to Melkin, at least for the moment. Dylan had advised that if we need to get a bigger team together, they would request it. We carpooled down there in various pairs, considering the drive was about eight or so hours, not counting stops.

If we needed any rental cars when we got there, it was advised that the company would cover the cost. However, Owen made sure to stress before we left that it was important to stay with others.

The drive back to Melkin was nothing short of painful. I looked out the window mostly, suggesting to Elle and Josh that my quietness was due to lack of sleep. They didn't seem to mind. Trees passed by and flashes of Finn playing I-Spy ran through my head. Back then, I was filled with fear and confusion. I preferred that, as I recalled Travis livid on the phone with Finn on our way there, angry and proclaiming that he was on his way to get me.

It was late when we arrived. Dark. I preferred it. I couldn't see buildings or the landscape to bring back any old feelings. Dylan and Owen passed out hotel keys to everyone upon checking in and told everyone to meet in Dylan's room in the morning. I had my own room, working for them had their perks. Or, temporarily working for them I guess depending on how well this went. Immediately after getting to my room, I dropped my bags at the end of the bed and crawled under the comforter. I didn't want to give myself time to think about where I was and who I was missing. Instead, I managed to get some must-needed sleep.

The morning was slow. I was in bed for about thirty minutes, just contemplating if I really wanted to continue this. I wanted to come back to help Travis but now that wasn't an option.

With a groan, I got up and into the shower to start getting ready for the day. Like the day before, I woke up way too early. Looking for things to do, I unpacked, did my make-up, and eager for something to really take up my time, I curled my hair lightly. I was still early by the time I had finished that and dressed. My outfit was similar to yesterday. Black jeans, a t-shirt, and the leather jacket. Thankfully, it was a bit chilly today so I doubted anyone would question my attire. I sighed and fell back onto the bed where I put my headphones in and played my music.

Not too long after, my phone buzzed with a text message from Elle.

     Hey, are you ready? I'm about to go down.

She was a few rooms over from me. I told her yes and waited outside of my room for her to exit hers.

"Are you nervous?" she asked, coming out with an anxious smile on her face.

"Definitely."

She laughed in agreement, but she didn't know just how nervous I was. She was dressed in blue jeans with a sweater on. They had advised us to dress casual to not draw attention to ourselves.

I pushed the elevator button and stuck my hands in the jacket pockets.

"Carson, yo! Wait up, you guys," Josh yelled from down the hall as he sped walked to us. We stepped onto the elevator and Elle pressed the button to hold the doors open until Josh slinked in.