Chapter 33

Everyone please look at this brilliant thing that makes me so happy made by VeniLegiAmavi Thank you!! 

And a special shout out to LogicalN0ns3ns3 for being awesome <3
______________________________________

Travis.
1 year, 8 months ago.
19 years old.

Bah-dum-din-din-din.

My hands smacked the stone I was leaning against in time with the song in my head. It was TNT by AC/DC to be exact.

"Travis."

Bah-dum-din-din-din.

"I really don't think..." Ben paused, looking at which headstone I was near, "Ms. Zeiger would appreciate AC/DC being drummed out on her headstone."

She wouldn't.

I paused. "Hell's Bells, maybe?"

Ben just shook his head and fixed the flowers we'd brought to his parents' grave. "That's a song better suited for you."

"Funny."

We both agreed Ms. Zieger's music taste was more The Foundations based off her age. The graveyard wasn't exactly overflowing with things for us to do on the regular and we spent way too much of our time here growing up over the last few years. It was one of the few places we grew to feel safe at, which, when you're a thirteen year old afraid to walk down the street alone, those places were important.

So we began to entertain ourselves by creating lives and stories and causes of death for the headstones around our usual camp out.

I started tapping out Build Me Up Buttercup out of respect for the Ms. Zeiger we imagined, mother of six, grandmother of eighteen, who died during water aerobics because what the fuck was water aerobics even? We didn't know but decided that's what got her in the end.

"I need you, I need you, more than anyone, darlin'," I mumbled the song to match my beats as I watched Ben.

I don't think enough people appreciated my musical abilities.

Hardly no one did, in fact.

It was insulting.

My phone went off and I looked at the text I'd gotten from the contact I had saved as 'Ugh'.

Ugh, 4:40 p.m.
Are you with Ben?

"Tom's looking for you," I said, not replying as I put the phone back in my pocket.

Ben groaned and waved his hand in the air, not caring about Tom's request either.

He stood, happy with how the flowers looked. I stopped tapping out the music in my head and silence surrounded us but it was comfortable.