Chapter 23

The wonderful aesthetic above was made by Aquaheart2Thank you!!______________________________

Thank you!!
______________________________

"Get in the fucking car."

"How about no? This is exactly how kidnappings start."

Travis looked to me for help as he continued to argue with Josh outside of the open door to the backseat of the car. I was on the other side of the car, waiting to get in the backseat with the hope that maybe Travis would give up and we'd just go back home.

That, and I didn't trust Travis in the backseat with Josh if he did happen to get him. I was still angry at Josh but I didn't want Travis to shoot him in the kneecap. There would Josh's screaming, my screaming, Travis yelling for Josh to suck it up, and well, I doubted Ben would appreciate the mess.

"I mean, it's true..." I offered looking between the two who were both not willing to budge.

Travis looked at me and let out an annoyed sigh before throwing his hands up in the air. I heard the slap of them hitting his legs.

"I just wanted help with Elle. If you're not going to help me find my friend, I'll call the cops or something," Josh said and turned to walk away.

However, Travis grabbed a handful of Josh's jacket and Josh stopped. Travis tugged back, causing Josh to do the same, as if he were on a leash.

"I'm helping," Travis gestured to the open car door as he spoke.

Josh looked offended as he pulled his jacket out of Travis' grip. "So are they holding Elle at the jail?"

"Unlikely."

"Then no. Forget I even came here," Josh took a step backwards, careful not to turn his back on Travis again.

"Goddamn. Is it always like this?" Travis asked while looking at Ben.

Ben shrugged as he stood next to me, near the driver's door. His hands were resting lazily on the roof of the car as he looked at me.

"She kind of just got in the car," Ben answered.

I palmed my forehead with one of my hands.

"You came to us for help, Joshua. I should've shot you already because I told you not to rat us out to your boss. Do you remember that conversation? I said I'd put a bullet in your head," Travis threatened, his eyes glaring.

Josh looked at the ground. "I didn't tell them anything about going to the house that day. I didn't."

Travis' stare only hardened and I was mad at Josh for bringing out this side of Travis when he spoke again, "You ratted out everything else, just as bad."

I could tell it was starting to rattle Josh and make him lose what little confidence he'd mustered.

"I don't need this chick dying and causing more of you assholes coming down here. Get in the car or my offer's expiring," Travis said.