Chapter 38

Things were tense on the walk out of the car up to meet the suppliers

Things were tense on the walk out of the car up to meet the suppliers. Not because of nerves, though I did have a great deal of those floating around.

But because Cameron looked like he was ready to haul the first person to talk to him directly at the sun.

He didn't have his crutches as he walked with me on his right and Ben on his left. He wasn't limping but I kept close to him. Just in case. He was fine in the car as he went over things with Ben and I. The only time he pulled out his standard glare was when I called what we were doing in the car "briefing" and thanked him for including me in it.

He didn't like that.

Ben thought it was funny.

We had met up with Carlos in Melkin. From there, we took one car to meet the suppliers, with Cameron briefing us, Carlos driving, and Ben making sure the transmitter that was on the inside my bra strap was secure and out of sight. It wasn't weird with Ben. If anything, it was more like I was in a hospital getting looked at by a doctor. He was hyper focused on the task which, given the fact that I didn't really want to get caught, I was kind of thankful for.

Meanwhile, Cameron told us that the point of our meeting was to try to convince the suppliers to back out of their deal with the Caseys. Seeing as Dylan was killed, there would be more police showing up. Cameron figured it was a good time to get the suppliers to leave without them causing trouble.

I didn't ask what kind of trouble they would cause. I didn't want to add extra reasons to be nervous.

Assuming this meeting was supposed to be us convincing them, I didn't understand why Cameron looked so angry off the bat as we walked towards the meeting spot, with Carlos leading the way. Or why I had knives stashed all over my body and Cameron hadn't even once acted like it was a bad idea. I wondered what he had on him. Or what Ben and Carlos had on them that Cameron was turning a blind eye to. The knives were slim, making them hard to feel and they were out of plain sight - Travis made sure of it when he was frisking me about ten times before we left as a precaution to see if he could feel them until I told him it would be okay. But still, we weren't exactly showing up with smiles and some of grandma's family banana bread as a peace offering.

Annabeth and Finn were driving around nearby and if Ben had done everything right with the transmitter, would be able to hear us if they were close enough in case we needed help. The same went for Travis, only he was supposedly in one of the buildings close by on a top floor. The area we were meeting wasn't in the city, which made Annabeth, Finn, and Travis keeping near us but not being spotted difficult but they had managed to find spots that Cameron found close enough to call safe.

We walked along a gravel path until there the buildings started to get replaced by trees. I wanted to glance behind me to see where the nearest building was to see how far away Travis might be, but refrained. The buildings that were still here weren't much and were practically transparent they were so destroyed so I knew he wouldn't be in any of them. There was a shed or trailer in the distance and a few trucks behind that.