Chapter 30

The beautifulllll image above was made by averyy35 and it gives me a bajillion feels

Also a special shout out to dagga10 because she's lovely and awesome. And Ticcy_1751 because your comment in the last chapter made me so happy because of what's in store in this chapter and the next few! <33
_____________________________

"Go straight."

I rolled my eyes because I could bet money that it wouldn't kill Cameron to actually tell me where we were going.

His eyes were still stuck to his phone when I pulled away from the alley and started heading down the road.

"I thought you had a phone already," I pointed out because I definitely called him on it before I went into the jail.

"Correct."

That time, I groaned. I glanced at him and I could see the corner of his mouth twitch up.

"Only you guys at out house have that number," he explained. "This everyone has."

"And do you stash in it a wall of bricks every time you're done using it or...?" I asked.

"I told Ben if anything happened to me, not to get rid of it in case they needed it for something but it's not something I wanted out in the open in case we got attacked or the house got robbed so I told him to hide it."

"Why couldn't you just use your new phone?" I asked, my thumb running over the tip of one of my fingers with a blister forming from the effort of getting the phone out in the first place.

"No one would believe it was me."

I glanced at him again, "Who did you text?"

"Everyone. Turn right."

My foot tapped the breaks a bit harder than necessary, both from the shock of Cameron outing his presence so quickly and from nearly passing the turn. Cameron grunted at the action and a hand went to his leg to steady it.

"Are you okay?" I asked, eyes darting down to his leg for a moment.

He didn't answer. Instead, a finger went up to his lips as he looked out the windshield, looking like he was thinking deeply about something.

"Thank you," I stated quietly. "Josh said Elle was okay. Thank you for helping her."

I wondered if Dylan or Owen knew Josh was out waiting to bump into me. Or what my old team was even doing if Dylan was releasing criminals from prison. Or what Dylan was even thinking in the first place.

Cameron looked to me, slight anger suddenly on his face.

I shrunk in my seat and focused on the road so I wouldn't have to look at him.