Chapter 35

"Maybe we can leave soon," I offered. "Why don't we go find Cameron, see if he needs help and if he doesn't, we can go home."

I didn't really know what happened after these sorts of things, especially since it was Dylan but I knew, and glanced behind me just to be positive, that Cameron was still inside. Travis sighed into my hair.

"Do you trust me?" he asked.

Did I...what?

Was he serious?

"Are you on drugs?" I asked because they'd implied it earlier and now he was asking me this. Did I trust him - I had been sure I trusted him back when he dropped me from a window. Which, looking back was probably not the best display of said trust but he never let me down.

"I walked into jail for you," I added before he had a chance to answer.

"Then trust me when I say you don't want to go inside the house."

I deflated at his words, realizing he knew what I was aiming for with my suggestion. I didn't see me winning this argument and if Travis didn't want me to see the body that much, perhaps it was that bad.

"Okay," I said. "You can find Cameron and tell him you need to rest and we'll leave."

Travis pulled away from me like he was thoroughly offended.

"I'm fine," he stressed.

"No, you aren't," I said, scrunching up my face at him because who was he kidding?

"Yes. I am."

I rolled my eyes at his need to seem okay. It wouldn't be the end of the world if he wasn't at 100% all the time. I didn't want him to push himself too hard.

He grabbed my hand and led us back to the house.

"Stay here with Ben," he said and was gone through the open front door before I could answer.

"Cameron!" I heard Travis yell once he was inside. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I couldn't hear Cameron's answer after that so I looked at the guys next to me. Ben offered me a small smile which I returned and I waved at Carlos.

The two of them were talking to each other softly but I could tell it was in another language. Spanish, I think. I looked between the two of them, enthralled.

When they stopped talking to each other, I finally spoke up.

"I didn't know you spoke Spanish," I said to Ben because there was a lot I didn't know about Carlos.

Ben smiled, "My mom was Spanish."

My eyebrows rose. I heard Travis talk about Ben's parents all the time but Ben rarely did.

"Does Travis?" I asked because if he was as close with Ben's family as he was, maybe he learned.

Both Ben chuckled while Carlos snorted.

"Travis can barely speak English," Ben joked.

A smile found its way onto my face but I still made sure to say, "Rude."

Annabeth was seated on one of the steps but she didn't make any moves to start up conversation or join in. Instead, she kept her eyes on the ground or would glance up and down the road before looking at the ground again. I looked up at the dark sky, looking at the few stars that were visible through the puffy clouds still in the sky.

"Who else is here?" I asked, not sure how many people were inside.

"Tom," Ben said.

I nodded, remembering Annabeth mentioning him on the phone.