Chapter 39

Travis.
Earlier that same day, before the supplier meeting.

"Did you get it?" I asked Finn from the backseat of Annabeth's hotwheel sized car. My attention was on my bag in my hand and making sure I had everything I needed.

We were stopped outside the place Jay was crashing after the Casey house got ransacked and Annabeth ran in to get some last minute stuff, taking the keys with her because she didn't trust us.

Finn was opening and closing the door to try to get some air flowing into the car and slammed it suddenly so hard that the car rocked at my question. He flipped around almost completely in the passenger seat to face me.

His face was panicked.

"No?" I guessed.

"Yes," he answered.

"Yes, you didn't get it?"

"No, I did get it," he shook his head.

"You didn't," I argued, not believing him as I put my bag of guns down on the seat next to me to study Finn.

"I just said I did, were you not listening to a word that was coming out of my mouth?" His voice got louder with every word. He pointed to his face, "Look at my lips as I'm speaking to you."

I stuck my hand out, "Let me see it."

Finn reared back. "You think I just carry that on me?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, you're right," he laughed and stuck his hand in his pocket.

I wrapped my hands around the back of his headrest to get closer and glanced out the window at Jay's place. Finn's hands went in and out of various pockets on his black cargo pants.

"You have too many pockets," I said. "It's not something you want to lose."

He laughed like I'd told the best joke ever. "Yeah, right? I'd be a dead man."

"How much can you fit in there?" I asked, as he searched the third pocket.

"It's in one of these, I was in a hurry this morning...Umm," he pulled out boxes of matches and lighters and handed them to me, "I can fit a sandwich in one of the pockets."

"Do you have a sandwich?" I asked because maybe that's what was causing the complications with finding what he bought. And a food pocket wasn't a bad idea.

"Not today. Ah! See! Told you, sucker," Finn gloated, pulling out the tiny velvet box.

He held the box out to me like it was an active grenade and popped the lid, revealing a small diamond ring. Finn had been eyeing a ring in a shop over in Lake Grove for a few weeks now, which was practically forever for him. He told me he peeked at it again when he was out getting stuff with Carlos right before the fiasco with Dylan happened. So yesterday when I was out with Annabeth, Lacey, and Ben, he went to get it.

"You think she's going to say yes?" I asked as I dumped the lighters and matches on his lap and took the ring in my hand to examine it.

"Fuck if I know," Finn blew out a breath.

I laughed and handed it back to him and he looked over every inch of it.

"You gonna ask Scully for his blessing?" I joked.

"Yeah, right after he flays me alive."

"Lacey said he got a boner just thinking about your Irish last name," I pointed out. She hadn't exactly used those words but I was summarizing.