Chapter 27

"License, please

"License, please."

Travis reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. I froze.

We were currently in a hotel lobby in Lake Grove. After a heavy make out session on the ground near the lake, Travis suggested we go to a hotel to spend the night instead of driving all the way back home.

I was in too much of a haze, wrapped up in the feel of his lips to do anything other than nod.

And then he smiled a boyish grin and I would've followed him anywhere.

But now my senses had returned to me as we stood in front of the receptionist, a duffle bag over one of Travis' shoulders as he pulled out his ID.

I grabbed the back of his shirt, fearful that as soon as he handed it over to him, cops would swarm us.

I knew it didn't work like that. I knew that the chances of this woman knowing there was a warrant out were practically non-existent. And I knew that we were in a different town and the chances the cops were even looking for things here were also slim. And even if they were, it would take more than a millisecond for them to get all the way out here from Melkin but as she grabbed the license from his hand to enter his information, my grip on his shirt tightened, not willing to let him go.

She was typing the information and it seemed to stretch on forever. I could hear her long nails clacking on the keyboard, echoing in my head. I should have given her my information but Travis had started speaking to the receptionist before I even had the chance.

"Alrighty, Mr. Harrison. Two keys for room 211. Check out is at three p.m. If you can just sign this receipt..."

I let go of his shirt as Travis signed and slipped his ID back in his wallet.

"Thanks," he said to the clerk as he grabbed the keys and pulled me down the hall.

My gaze stuck to him as he pressed the elevator door. He didn't look at me, he just glanced around at the rest of the lobby, to the elevator light, and then back to the lobby.

The ding of the elevator filled the silence.

As soon as we stepped on and the doors closed I turned to him.

"You have a fake ID?" I whispered harshly.

Travis shrugged.

"You could have told me that, I nearly had a heart attack at the counter."

To this, he only rolled his eyes. "There wasn't time."

The doors opened on the second floor and I followed him out. There was plenty of time in the car ride over here to let me know but I kept my mouth shut.

"What's in the bag?" I asked instead.

Travis phone was vibrating in his pocket, the noise barely audible but the hallway was quiet. It rang a few times on the way over here but he ignored it.