Chapter 17

"Can I put a hand up?" I yelled over the wind rushing around us as Travis sped down the deserted road on his motorcycle. I moved my head closer to his so he could hear, our helmets clanking together for a moment.

As an answer, he only went faster and my stomach surged. I squeezed him tighter with both hands.

It had been a few hours since I told Travis about the tattoo and it was well into the late night. He said he had to take me back to the hotel tonight so I didn't get in trouble. Naturally, I was sad I had to leave him because I wanted to spend all of my time with him at the house and with my friends there. But Travis had offered to take me back on his own and right now, in this moment, I couldn't have been happier. We weren't in Melkin yet, still out in the fields and he was flying down the road and I was practically super-glued to his back.

No one else was out on the road and I wanted nothing more than to lift my hands out and feel the wind blow through my fingers. But he didn't have a seat for me to lean against and I wasn't brave enough to try it with one hand at this speed. Still, it was exhilarating and freeing.

The sounds of the bike and wind took up most of the noise around us and blocked out anything else. I felt like it was just the two of us, with no worries in the world.

Eventually, we entered the city and the good feeling died as he slowed and turned the bike off. He turned around slightly and held his hand out, helping me off. I took off my helmet and held it out to him. Travis held between his legs as he sat on the bike, resting his arms on the top of the helmet.

"Okay," I said at his silence. Maybe he didn't want anyone to hear his voice. "So I'll see you around?" I asked. I wasn't sure when. Last time, I was able to sneak into the Casey house. This time, it was destroyed.

He didn't say anything and I waved a hand in front of his face but I wasn't sure if he was even paying attention because he had his helmet still on and the visor down.

Travis stood off the bike and rested my helmet on one of the handlebars.

"Come on. We're a bit away, I'll walk you," he said quietly and grabbed my hand in his.

My eyes widened and fear edged its way in my body. "No, really. It's okay. I appreciate it but I can find my way back. I get it and I don't mind," I rushed out because I didn't want him to blow his cover.

"I know what I'm doing," he argued, lifting up the visor on his helmet. I felt like the wind had hit me in tenfold as I looked at him and I didn't know seeing my boyfriend's eyes in public would do that to me. But hear I was, staring like an idiot.

"I actually just stopped in Joy's today for some ice cream," he said casually, pulling me along because I was too busy focusing on his eyes.

My mouth parted at the mention of the woman. "Really?" I asked. She was always so warm and welcoming.

He nodded. "Well, it was more for a meeting of sorts and we didn't know where else to go that was safe but it turns out your friends liked ice cream, too." He didn't sound too pleased.

"I thought you said only Casey members knew about you."

"Well, her I had to tell," Travis said like it was obvious. I rolled my eyes.

"Is that when you heard about the text messages?" I whispered as we entered some random alley.

In exchange for me showing him my tattoo, he told me he overheard Josh talking about a text others got but he didn't get from Dylan.

Travis nodded and leaned in as close to my head as his helmet would allow him. "And then we may have put some trackers on some of your friends' cars," he added, keeping his voice low.