Author's Note (+Preview)

HI!

Okay. Okay. This is probably going to be a jumbled mess but read until the end, I promise- there's a preview in here. If you've been reading any of my notes at the bottom of chapters, I keep mentioning how EXCITED I've been to get these next few chapters out (I'm still excited for you guys to read the stuff still about to come ahhh). BUT part of the reason is because awhile back I asked if you guys would be interested in one shots for Annabeth, Cameron, Finn, the whole gang, etc. from before.

And if you've noticed, so far I haven't posted any one shots and there is a reason.

I started writing them and then I was writing too much for just one chapter and then I ran into random timing issues. And then I stopped writing them and just thought on it...For like two weeks straight.

And instead, I decided that I was going to take what I already wrote, add to it, and make it into a book that's a prequel to Rebel One. It's going to focus on Annabeth, Cameron, Finn, Travis, and Ben as youngins in the very beginning. And it didn't feel right mentioning that I was going to be writing a prequel about Cameron's life until I put out that last chapter lol so I've been waiting practically on the edge of my seat.

I have some already written. I have some I still have to write. It's in giant pieces all over because they were just one shots before for different scenes. But I just wanted to let you guys know to be on the watch for that and I thought I would give you a small preview. I might give more previews later, I'm not sure but I've just been waiting for the last chapter so I could post this.

This preview is literally a snippet from the middle of a chapter because I wanted to give you guys this conversation for the first time ever, so don't worry if you don't understand everything.

Cameron's point of view.

Thirteen Years Old.

"Cam?"

My thoughts were interrupted as I turned to look at my younger brother, Alex. He was in his gym gear but he just looked sweaty, not beat up. He was probably playing around or practicing. My dad was trying to edge him into training, like he did me but I kept telling him Alex was too little. The issue there was my dad wasn't the type to care.

I folded up the court order into a little square and shoved it in my pocket as I stood up.

"Was dad in here?" he whispered, looking around.

"Yeah, he's gone."

Alex wasted no time in collapsing on the cold kitchen tile floor, an exaggerated sigh puffing out of his lips. "I ran so fast today. Jason timed me and I'm going to beat your mile time. Just wait. You, me, the Olympics this time next year."

I rolled my eyes, highly doubting he was close to my time. "The Olympics aren't next year."

He didn't even bother to open his eyes as I stood over his exhausted body. Our dad didn't like it when we showed any sort of weakness around him. Or around other members of the gang. Or strangers. Anyone, really. But we both had an unspoken code almost every kid went by: Don't tell dad.

"Says who?" he asked.

I sat on the ground next to him. "The entire world."

Alex groaned, "You're just worried I'm gonna whoop your ass."

"Don't cuss, you're seven."

He laughed, because cussing was probably the smallest thing he had to worry about. Last week he was learning how to break into a car.

"Do we have any Gatorade?" he whined.

Still on the ground, I used my heels to propel me backwards toward the fridge. I opened it and glanced up at the drinks in the door.

"Yeah," I said and grinned.

Alex outstretched his hand, opening and closing it a few times as if to say give me some.

"It's the blue kind," I shut the fridge without grabbing it.

He groaned, his arm falling defeated to the tile. He only liked red flavors.

"I thought I drank the last one yesterday. I just hoped and hoped on every hope that someone had gotten more," he said. Alex peeked one eye open finally, looking at me. "I really hoped. I really, really, really..."

I rolled my eyes again and pushed myself up off the ground. "I get it," I cut him off before he continued on any more. "Are you coming?"

Alex shook his head. "I can't move."

"Some Olympic champion you are," I said stepping over him and he laughed.

"Thank you," he said, drawing out the last syllable.

I nodded as I left the room but I wasn't sure if his eyes were still open to see. I walked out of the kitchen and went up the stairs. I swiped my wallet from my room before knocking three times on the room across from mine.

After waiting a second, I knocked two more times and then opened the door. It was a knock we always did so we knew who it was. My cousin was lounging on her bed with head buried in some book, not bothering to get up.

I went over and fell onto her bed, glancing over to see what she was reading. Some dumb love book.

"What's up?" she asked, using a bandaged hand to turn the page.

Annabeth Taylor was a year younger than I was but sometimes she put the fear of god in me. I was pretty sure she did the same to some of the older men, too. Her father was cousins with my dad and was a member of the gang, as well. A few years ago, her mom was fed up with the lifestyle and bailed. Annabeth's dad didn't feel right leaving her at home by herself when he went out on jobs so they moved into the Casey house...If it could even be called a house. It had more rooms in it than I could count and half the gang lived here.

So now her dad was barely ever around because he was always out on jobs and somehow that was better in his head.

But being so close to the family line, both of our dads decided early on that she needed to learn to protect herself just as much as I did so she was put into training and on jobs just as soon as I was.

"I'm walking up to the corner store. Want to come?" I asked.

"Are you allowed to leave the house?" she challenged, eyeing me curiously.

I narrowed my own eyes and the court order suddenly felt very heavy in my pocket. "Did my dad talk to you?"

"No," she said and shut her book before getting up. "But I heard him yelling at everyone about it before you came home from school."

"Why weren't you at school?" I asked as we exited her room.

She suddenly got defensive. "I'm a girl and sometimes I might not feel good and it's none of your business!"

"Why? I could have skipped with you."

Her cheeks turned red. "Because. Girl things."

I stared at her.

"Remember when Ms. Edmonds' had all the girls talk with her for an hour a few months ago and all the boys kept asking what we went over?" she said harshly under her breath as we exited the house. We didn't bother to tell anyone where we went. If anyone wanted to know, they'd ask Alex.

I scrunched up my face as I got the hint. "Please don't talk to me ever again."

"Please don't ask about my period again," Annabeth demanded like it was my fault. It probably was.