Chapter 19

"Mr. Taylor," Dylan started, voice professional but urgent, "Are you suggesting that Mr. Miller is still alive and well? Because that is not something we would take lightly if you're lying to us." Dylan pointed a finger down on Travis' picture, tapping it a few times.

Scully's face distorted for a second at the mention of his last name but then regained his nonchalant composure.

A shrug. A shrug was all he had to give Dylan while he threw Travis, my Travis, under the bus.

"Yeah, I know," Scully eventually offered.

"Hang on," I interrupted as I tried to keep my voice level and all squeakiness and desires to strangle Scully out of it.

Dylan gave me that look he loved to give me that said 'shut up right now, trainee' but I wasn't about to sit on the sidelines.

"He has a life sentence, how can you trust anything he says? He just showed us his Casey tattoo and you expect to believe he's just going to hand over current Casey members like a rat?" I asked, looking at Dylan and I wasn't even reaching far with my explanation because from any outsider, it made sense. Why was this guy doing this? And he was Cameron's uncle for crying out loud.

This got Scully's attention.

"Over half these guys in here are rats, honey," Scully said casually. My eyes narrowed even though he didn't even talk down to me while he called me the stupid pet name and maybe that's what annoyed me about it. Whenever Dylan called me names, he said it with hate and I knew he was looking down on me. Scully said it casually like he'd call anyone walking along the street the same thing and right now I just wanted more reasons to hate him. I didn't want any part of him to be a decent person.

"The biggest one of all is my little nephew," he continued. "Cammie turned us in and it went all downhill from there."

"What?" I asked, sure he was lying.

Dylan fished through the files he had with him and pulled out Scully's paperwork, pushing it in front of me. I'd never paid much attention to it in the past even though I knew we had it because I figured it was of no use to us. He was already in jail where Dylan wanted to put the rest of the gang, there was no point to research anything.

I skimmed the paperwork and sure enough, Cameron Casey was listed as providing all of the details against Scully.

He had multiple charges against him but the one that stood out among the others and guaranteed his life sentence was the murder of Alexander Casey, Cameron's little brother.

Fear washed over me and I felt paralyzed. Did this man really kill his own nephew? Had Cameron turned half of these people in on his own? Was that why Scully didn't care?

Practically yelling at myself to move a muscle, I pushed the paperwork back to Dylan as I glanced back at Scully. I should have listened to Travis and refused to come. His warning to be careful around Scully held more meaning than I realized now.

I tried to act as casual about it as I could. "Still, I wouldn't trust him."

Scully smirked at me.

"Please, explain anything you know," Dylan urged, shooting me a look and I wanted to tell him where he could shove that look right about now but I bit my lip instead.

"Our knowledge on the Casey gang is very limited," Dylan said.

I looked over Scully as his eyes swam over the photographs in front of him, like he had no hesitation betraying the Casey trust. But given his crimes and reason in here, I doubted he had many morals to begin with. Was this part of why Cameron refused to stay in his own house and constantly had a safe house somewhere else?