Chapter 37

It was around eight in the morning when we finally made it back to the house. Travis took my jacket when we walked in and went back to our room with it while I went into the kitchen to start getting everything ready. There was an abandoned pair of crutches at the edge of the kitchen bar near the stools and the aroma of bacon and filled the air the closer I got. At the stove, Cameron sat on one of the stools he'd moved over there. I frowned.

"You didn't have to start anything," I said. I hadn't gotten the food for him to cook any of it, I had gotten it to do something nice for them.

He glanced back at me but didn't say anything before looking back at the bacon.

I went to the fridge to get the other items out for breakfast and started on them. I wasn't going to ask him for help but I wasn't about to turn it down if he was going to help out.

"Morning," he mumbled out like his mind wasn't working properly enough yet to remember how to form all of his syllables.

"Good morning," I smiled.

We worked around each other for a few moments, or really, I worked around Cameron until Travis shuffled in.

"That smells good, what's that?" he asked, shoving his face over the bacon pan before Cameron pushed him away. "What do you need help with?"

"Nothing, go away," Cameron said.

"I can help," Travis protested.

Cameron didn't even glance up at Travis as I placed a pan on the stove for the sausage. He took the container of sausage from me and started placing it in the pan himself. If he was going to sit in front of the stove for the bacon anyway, I suppose that made sense.

"No you can't, leave," Cameron told my boyfriend.

Travis narrowed his eyes. "I won't even do anything."

"You're right," Cameron agreed, taking Travis' words a different way than he meant them, "You won't."

Cameron gave Travis a pointed look that said to get out without words and Travis gave him one back that I swore said make me.

"Go wake up Ben," he pointed from his spot on the stool towards where Ben's room was.

Travis threw his head back so he was looking at the ceiling. However, he turned on his heel and walked out groaning about "it's like waking the dead."

I started working on other things while Cameron handled the stove, which was fine by me.

"Is Hannah here?" I asked when Travis' whining was out of earshot.

"She's at work," he answered easily. It wasn't unusual for her to be here when we left for bed and then was gone in the morning. She worked a lot of odd hours that I hadn't been able to keep track of yet. But we were up around five so I wondered what time she woke up if she was already gone and how much sleep she even got and when she even slept. But asking Cameron any of those this early in the morning seemed like a bad idea so I kept those all to myself.

"Travis told me about the drugs," I said instead, keeping my voice down.

"Did he now?"

"Did you really kick out the Caseys who were harming him?" I asked.

He didn't say anything immediately and I thought he wouldn't. He started pushing things around in the pans. I watched as he took the bacon off the pans and put new, uncooked slices on. I didn't even care if he didn't answer. I felt like him not answering was answer enough because if it was no, he would have said so. And at that pointed, I realized I knew Cameron better than I thought I did.