Thirteen

Kayla had just finished getting dressed when someone knocked on her door. She approached the door cautiously because if it were Rose or Luci, they would have just walked in.
She slowly opened the door but threw it open when she saw it was Peter.
"I was wondering if you want to go into the city? I asked Mr. Stark and he said you can leave as long as we stay together."
She gave a small smirk, "That won't be a problem."
He blushed, "Then I guess we can. Aunt May wants to meet you. Can you be ready to leave in 15?"
Kayla shrugged, "I'm ready now, so, just get me when you're ready."
Peter smiled, "Let's go now." Kayla grabbed her purse and took Peter by the hand.
Kayla got suspicious when they took the stairs. Peter was practically pulling her as they seemed to sneak their way down. As they finally got to the lobby, FRIDAY's voice took them by surprise, "Ms. Jefferson isn't permitted to leave the compound. Should I send a request to Mr. Stark?"
Peter turned to Kayla wide eyed, "Run!" They both bolted out the door and hopped in one of the cars.
"I thought you said I could leave!" Kayla yelled as Peter drove away a bit faster than what was legal.
"Okay maybe that wasn't 100% true but I figured you wouldn't mind breaking a few rules, considering you were an assassin. But I wasn't lying when I said we need to stick together."
Kayla sighed, "Are we even going to see May."
Peter nodded, "That's kinda the reason I broke you out. I can bring most things to the compound but Aunt May doesn't have the security clearance."
Kayla nodded. The rest of their drive consisted of singing along the radio. Loudly. They had a blast as they yelled the lyrics, the volume up high.
They were about to get out when they saw May running towards the car.
Peter climbed out and hugged his aunt while Kayla was more hesitant about getting out but when she did, May smiled.
She gave Peter a pat on the back, "She's even more gorgeous than you said!"
Kayla was about to say thank you when she was pulled into a bone crushing hug.
May stepped back, "How about we go up to the bakery. You like cinnamon rolls?" Kayla nodded.
The bakery was warm and smelled like fresh bread with a sweet undertone. Kayla sat at a round table with May and Peter, each with their own treat and drink.
"So, tell me about yourself," May said, biting into her cinnamon roll.
Kayla gave an awkward laugh, figuring she shouldn't mention that she was an assassin but that was the only thing that came to mind. What was Kayla like, not Ghost but Kayla. Luckily Peter saw her srtuggle and jumped in.
"She's good at pretty much anything. She loves reading and writing. She knows a crazy amount about the founding fathers but won't tell me why. Steve has pretty much adopted her. Kay is like the funnest girl I've ever met." Peter glanced at her and continued, "She lived in California until two and a half ago. She almost went into literature but life happened."
May looked at Kayla, "What happened?"
"My parents died," Kayla says looking down, "We just moved here and they were at the winter gala when it was bombed two years ago."
May put her hands on Kayla's, "I'm so sorry dear."
Kayla shook her head, "That's okay. It's how I met my two best friends. They lost family there, too, and we were all forced to go to this group therapy along with family members of all those killed."
May gave her a small smile, "I'm guessing they're Nightshade and Viper?"
Kayla choked on her cookie.
Peter laughed, "Did you think she didn't know?"
Kayla shrugged, "I kind of figured you wouldn't tell her you were bringing home an assassin."
Peter continued to laugh, "I told her you've changed."
May swatted him away, "I'm not worried. I think that makes me pretty safe. I'm having brunch with a superhero and an ex assassin."
Kayla smiled, "I'm going to go get a refill."
She grabbed her cup and went to the counter.
She waited in line patiently until the man in front of her turned around.
He stared at her for a minute, "Hey! You're Ghost!" She was going to deny it when he started yelling louder, "I know it's you! The girl that killed hundreds of people and got away with it! The problem with society is that they let snakes like you slip through! You think you can switch from threat to hero? You can't! Deep down everyone knows you belong in hell!"
Peter was suddenly in front of her, "That's enough." His voice wasn't as loud but was firm.
"And who are you? The killer's boy-"
He didn't get to finish his taunt because Peter had knocked him onto the ground.
He grabbed Kayla's hand and pulled her outside where May was already waiting.
Peter pulled her into a tight hug, "Are you okay?"
Kayla nodded. "I just want to go home." Her voice was soft and he knew that she wasn't okay.
He nodded, "Let's take May home."
Peter walked May up while Kayla stayed in the car and calmed down.
Peter opened the driver door and sat down before turning to Kayla, "What he said, it wasn't true. You're amazing. He's a nobody."
Kayla turned, "I know. Thank you, Peter."
It was silent for a moment before they both started leaning in. Their lips met softly and time stood still for a moment.
Time started moving again when someone knocked on the window.
They pulled apart, both blushing and looked to see Steve staring in. He wore a cap and hoodie.
"We're going to get going, sir," Peter said putting the car into reverse to try and get away.
"Not so fast," Steve said, "Kayla is coming with me."
They both sighed but Kayla unbuckled her seatbelt and followed Steve to his truck.
She watched Peter drive away before turning to Steve. He was giving her the disappointment eyebrows. She felt guilty, not just because Steve caught her kissing Peter but because of what the man had said earlier.