Twenty Four

It'd been hectic at the compound and everyone was overwhelmed. Bucky and Luci decided they needed to sneak away to escape it all and that's how they found themselves at the park under their tree.
A bit after they'd settled in, Luci's phone started ringing. Kayla wanted to FaceTime and Luci quickly answered.
"Hey! Awe look how cute you two are," Kayla saw them both cuddled up and it made her smile grow even more.
"It's gorgeous there!" Luci admired, taking in the white sand and blue water that was behind Peter and Kayla.
"How's the married life?" Buck asked.
Both newlyweds beamed, "Amazing! How long 'til you two will tie the knot?"
Bucky smiled and opened his mouth to answer but Luci laughed awkwardly and beat him to it, "Awhile. We're not quite there yet."
Kayla clicked her tongue in disapproval but moved onto another subject. The video call lasted another fifeteen minutes before Peter practically begged Kayla to come swim with him.
Luci and Buck sat together in silence before Bucky finally spoke, "You really think we aren't ready yet?"
"Of course not!" She laughed at first but it stopped being funny when she realized he was serious, "Wait, don't you? I thought we agreed."
He looked down, "I don't know. I just thought we were serious."
"We are, but serious doesn't mean ready for a family!" Luci was staring at him wide eyed.
Bucky finally looked up, his eyes full of hurt, "Do you not want to have a family with me?"
Luci seemed taken a back, "It's not that it's just, just," She was searching for a the right word but he'd heard enough.
"Just that you don't want to." He shook his head slowly, "I'm sorry. I thought we wanted the same thing, but I guess I was wrong."
He stood but she quickly followed suit and grabbed his arm, "Buck, it's not that I don't want it, I don't deserve it. Hell, I'm not cut out for it. I'm an assassin!"
He shook his head, "You were, now you're a hero."
"James! A new career doesn't erase the fact that I've killed people!" She could feel the tears building in her eyes, "You of all people should know that." As soon as she said it she wished she could take it back but it was too late.
He flinched and she knew she'd crossed a line.
"I'm so-" She started but he cut her off with a shake of his head. He threw her the keys, "I'll find a different way home."