Thirty Nine

skyybelle for you ;) but also go back and read last part cause I've changed some things lol 

Alec's phone rings and he glances down, "New York number?"

Rose's eyes widen, "Do not answer that!"

He raises an eyebrow in challenge, "You going to tell me why?"

In one swift motion she's grabbed her fork and used it to knock the phone from his hand.

He scoffs, "Fine, no need to be a bitch."

Rose smirks but turns her attention to the room around her. Alec hadn't changed anything since getting the estate after their parent's death. The family photos on the wall had a layer of dust. 

"Listen, I promise not to give you too much trouble if you let me stay," She starts.

"If I let you? This is your home too Rose." Alec fixes her with stern look. 

His phone rings again but this time Rose picks it up. 

"Is this Alec Hawthorne?" She would recognize that voice and accent anywhere. She ends the call.

"Change of plans. I can't stay here and by the sounds of it, you can't either. Pack a bag." Rose is already in the kitchen, doing a quick job of cleaning up dinner.

"What? Are you crazy?" Alec starts to protest.

"I just told you I'm an assassin and an Avenger. Don't you think you should listen when I tell you you're not safe here?" Rose's tone lets him know she isn't joking and he shuts up. He has a bag ready by the time Rose has a car waiting for her at the dealership down the road. 

"Why can't we take my car?" Alec whines as he drives to pick up their new ride.

"For one, it can be traced back to you. Two, what I've got is going to be much faster."

Rose is hopping out of the car before it's fully stopped. She meets the manager at the door and trades the envelope of cash for a pair of keys. 

"That- that's all it's going to take?" Alec is dumbstruck.

Rose unlocks the flashy black sports car, "You can do just about anything for the right price. Contract kills tend to pay very well. You build quite the savings with a history like mine."

Alec is running his hands over the leather as Rose drives well over the speed limit, taking the familiar curves smoothly. "Where are we going?" 

"Safe house on a farm in Southern Oregon. We're just staying the night. Tomorrow morning we have a flight to Ecuador." Alec tries to act calm but the situation was clearly weighing on him. 

Back at the compound, Kayla and Peter have packed all their belongings and were watching them be moved into a truck. 

An alarm started ringing throughout the compound as Tony appeared in the doorway. "Don't worry about it. You guys are off the hook. SHEILD just called to report hydra troops along the Oregon - Washington border. We're going to go check it out."

Bucky and Luci suited up with the rest of team and were headed for the jet.

"Has anyone seen Pietro?" Steve calls, looking over the seats.

Wanda sheepishly speaks up, "He is kind of already in Washington so he will meet us there."

Tony takes a deep breath and then heads for the cockpit. 

When they land, no Hydra agents are in sight. 

"Talk to me, Hill." Tony is pacing while everyone else climbs out to look around.

Pietro approaches the group. 

Clint meets him first, "What the hell are you doing speedy? Going off on your own like that? I want her back to but this isn't the way to do it."

"She's close. I think that's why Hydra is here too. I've gotten one call through to her brother that was disconnected after three seconds. His car is gone and the house is empty."

"Her brother?" 

"According to an old friend and ex he's the person she would go to. I think she's running with him but I can't figure out where to." 

Luci pipes up, "We have a safe house in Oregon. It's a couple hours from here but with the jet we can get there a lot quicker." 

Clint becomes optimistic, "I would kiss you!" If looks could kill, he would be a dead man from the stare Bucky was delivering. "Could but won't. Don't forget I'm married."

The property looks exactly how she left it. Same yellow brick old farm house in the middle of no where. It looks as if an elderly couple has lived in it for the last few decades based on the exterior. The interior is another story. It's modern and minimalistic. The basement is more of an arsenal. The windows are tinted and bulletproof and the pantry is stocked with a few months worth of canned goods. 

After getting inside, Rose locks the deadbolt and turns on the security system. "Make yourself at home. The bedroom down the hall to the left can be yours for the night. I'll be across the hall if anything happens." Before Alec can respond to the concerning end of that sentence, Rose is already downstairs stocking up on ammunition and weapons. 

A silent alarm goes off and the lights flicker to red.

"Rose!" Alec calls from the basement, "What does that mean?"

Rose pulls back on the slide and gets a bullet in the chamber, "It means someone's on the property." 

She places the hand gun into the holster on her thigh and reaches for the AR. She clicks the biggest magazine into place. 

"What the hell have you gotten yourself into?" Alec is pale as he takes in the arsenal of a basement. 

Don't worry about it. She forces a gun into his hands and gives him the run down on shooting it. Rose and Alec make their way to the hallway with the bedrooms as someone tries to pound in the doors. "Whose that?" 

A glance out the window confirms her worst suspicions, "Someone that's looking for me. Lock yourself in here." 

Alec starts to argue when he hears a jet engine outside the house, "And who is that?" 

Rose shrugs, "Someone else that's looking for me. Now lock the door."

Pietro is analyzing everything he can from the window. If the slick, black car in the driveway is any indication, Rose is here. By the look of the Army looking jeeps, Hydra is here, too.

Rose takes on deep breath and pushes the button to unlock the door. The remote allowed her to do so from an advantage point up in the loft. As soon as the agents burst through, she takes aim. One after the other, they're dropping like flies. It's only a matter of seconds before they realize where the rain of bullets is coming from and start shooting back. 

One bullet finds it's mark and buries itself into her thigh. In no time, Hydra is being attacked from both sides as the Avenger's join the fight. With the front lines down, Pietro can run in and to Rose. 

"What were you thinking?" He's obviously pissed. 

Rose rolls her eyes and repositions the gun at the doorway, "I was thinking you're better off without me. Case and point right here."

"What? So I can lose you again? Mourn you again because you get yourself killed in situations like this? You want me to go back to spending hours a day at an empty grave just to feel like I'm with you in some way? Does that sound better?"

Rose was caught off guard. She lowered the gun, "You- I'm sorry, I didn't know. No, that's not what I want." A gun goes off but with Pietro's speed they're both against the floor in less than a second.

His face is close enough that the stubble scratches her cheek, "I'm not losing you again Rose. I can't." The crack in his voice breaks her and she captures his lips. 

"I love you," Despite the chaos surrounding them, they both smile. Footsteps pound against the hardwood floor as the second wave of hydra agents flood in. Rose lifts the gun again and takes aim. Before she has a chance to pull the trigger, an explosion forces her onto her back and the gun out of her hand.