Twenty Seven

Pietro sat, the only sound being the constant beeping of the machines.
Since removing the implants, Rose was slowly coming back. The first week she only woke up every 12 hours and was out again less than an hour later.
Now, she'd wake up constantly but it was never long until she was out.
She was just starting to stir when Pietro's phone began ringing. He glanced at it and almost answered Tony's call but that option went out the window when her eyes opened.
He quickly ignored the call and put the phone back on the bedside.
Rose glanced to him, "You're still here?"
Pietro smiled, "Of course. I couldn't leave my, Ro."
She smiled then tried to sit up, "I want to go for a walk."
Pietro took her hands and carefully tried to help her off her bed. She'd been moved, along with all the necessary equipment, to her bedroom.
"Careful, careful. Not too quickly." She rolled her eyes but slowed down.
By the time they made it outside, Rose was leaning onto Pietro for support. They were just getting to the small garden when Wanda came barreling towards them.
"Hurry up! They won't say anything until you get there!" She shouted.
"Who?" Pietro asked.
"Peter and Kayla!" Wanda said and started running back to the compound.
Pietro turned to Rose and shrugged before he picked her up bridal style and ran them both to the main living room where the rest of the team was already standing around.
When they appeared together, Clint looked ready to say something but stopped when Kayla called for their attention.
"So," She paused for dramatic affect, "We're expecting!"
The room erupted into cheers and congratulations.
"I'm going to be a grandpa! Well, an honorary grandpa!" Tony cheered.
Steve leaned over, "You know I'll be the kid's favorite, right?" Tony glared and was obviously ready to bite back when Peter met him with pleading eyes.
Pietro was about to go up and hug them each but Rose leaned to his ear, "I need to sit down." The fatigue was already taking over so he lied her on a couch while he quickly congratulated the couple. By the time he was to the couch again, Rose was already out cold.
That night, most the Avengers celerated.
Excluded from the celebration, and practically everything else lately, were Pietro and Rose. They were up in Rose's room again, only this time they were both asleep. Pietro had a cot next to her bed that he'd been occupying since she'd been moved back to her room.
The breeze stirred and Rose woke up. For the first time since she'd actually become concious enough to remember, Pietro wasn't already awake.
She glanced across the dark room, scanning until she stopped at the dark shadow that lurked behind her curtains. The window was open, though she recalled it being shut when she'd fallen asleep. She tried to write it off as Pietro after she was already out, but something in her kept her from looking away from the shadow.
When what she told herself was just the curtain in the breeze moved, she tried to ignore it. She still couldn't bring herself to look away. When a figure dressed in black moved forward from the shadows, she finally knew why. Shooting up and grabbing the Glock from her night stand had woken up Pietro but he was wide awake after the loud bang that followed her pulling the trigger.
She didn't stop. She fired three more times before Pietro had jumped to his feet and sped to the light.
He glanced around the room to see what she was shooting at but found nothing.
She was still shooting, aiming in front of her closet door so Pietro got to her quickly and took the gun. By now, she'd fired seven rounds.
"What are you doing? Shoot him!" She yelled frantically, fear lacing every word.
"Shoot who? There's no one there!" Pietro called back, trying to understand what was going through her mind.
She opened her mouth but a fictional movement to her side caused her to jump from bed instead and head for the window.
She jumped, chasing the figure only she could see and would have fallen to her death if Pietro hadn't been quick enough to grab her by the collar after she'd jumped through the window.
He yanked her back in, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"
She didn't answer, only tried to free herself from his grip and attempt to jump again.
This time he pulled her into him and held on tight.
"He-he's getting away! He's going to get away!" She was still scrambling to get loose but this time had no success. She stopped when she couldn't fight any more, instead shaking in Pietro's arm.
In the doorway stood Ironman, all suited up with an entire team armed behind him.
Tony's mask went up, "What's going on? We heard the gunshots."
Pietro glanced between Rose and the holes in the wall a few times, "I have no idea. She shot at nothing, and then when I took the gun told me he was getting away. And when I tried telling her no one was here, she attempted to jump out the window. Twice."
The team stared in silence for a moment as they looked from the window, to the holes in the wall, to where Rose was shaking in Pietro's arms while tears streamed down her face.
"It's not safe for her in here. Move her to the west wing basement," Tony declared.
Pietro stepped forward, moving Rose with him, "To the padded cells? You can't be serious."
Steve nodded solemnly, "If she's not contained she's a threat to others and herself."