THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
________________________
6 YEARS LATER (oof that timeskip)

"WHO'S READY FOR OUR ANNUAL PICNIC?" AN OVERLY excited Katsuo shouted loudly at the many family members surrounding him, but mostly to the two children who stood in front of him. His lips formed a charming smile as they responded back with equally excited tones. With his hand shoved in his pockets, he leaned against the tall tree next to him.

"Me! Me!" Himawari giggled. "Is everyone gonna be here?"

"Yeah! Like Grandma and Grandpa? And Dad?"

The silver-haired adults' honey eyes flickered over to his sister-in-law who was smiling, despite the absence of her own husband. The fact that he couldn't be there clearly upset her, but she couldn't let the children, or let anyone else of the Hatake family see that.

Yet, Katsuo could see it all.

"Of course everyone's gonna be here." He took his hands out of his pockets to scoop Himawari up with one hand, setting her on his arm. "Would I ever lie to my favorite niece and newphew?"

"No?" Himawari's response was more of a question than an answer, causing the adult to let out an amused chuckle.

"No, I wouldn't." Katsuo answered for her. "You can hold me to that, Flower."

"Okay!" She leaned over to give her Uncle a peck on the cheek, signaling that she was ready to be put down on the ground.

"Did you really think you'd miss out on family picnic?"

"Ow! Ow! No, Mom!"

"Then why were you sitting at your desk acting like you didn't have anything to do?"

"I was doing paperwork, Grams! You guys understand, right? Kakashi?"

"I never missed a family picnic over paperwork."

"Yeah, never."

"Enough fighting!" Katsuo called out to the small group, crossing his arms at their behavior. "This is supposed to be a drama free zone if you didn't know. Also, Nice to see you Grams, Grandpa."

Tsunade and Jiraiya both quickly walked over to their youngest grandson, giving him tight hugs. "Well, Naruto just has to learn about picnic etiquette now that he's Hokage is all."

"I see." Katsuo narrowed his eyes at his brother.

Naruto didn't meet his eyes, but instead stood behind their parents while he waited to have a chance to speak.

"I haven't seen you in so long." Hana sighed happily, reaching up to press an affectionate kiss to the boys' forehead. "How was your mission?"

"It was great." The boy responded shortly, giving his mother a hug first.

"Perfect results, I heard. Very unlike you." Kakashi joked, and Katsuo let out a laugh before giving his father a hug as well.

"We'll help set up. I'll see you two in a bit."

The two siblings were left alone then, and Katsuo got a bit closer to his brother, his eyes narrowing once again. "What's wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?" Naruto asked, scrunching his eyebrows together out of confusion.

"You've ditched dinner with Hinata and the kids twenty times, and lunch with me ten times. So let me ask you again; What's wrong with you?" He pushed daringly, his honey eyes flaring with a fire the man facing him had never seen outside of battle.

"I'm just trying to be a good Hokage." Naruto answered him, not standing down.

"What about your family?"

"The village is my family."

"Hinata and the kids are your family! Mom and Dad are your family! Grams and Grandpa are your family! I'm your family too!" Katsuo said loudly while managing to keep his voice under control. "I just had to reassure Himawari and Boruto that you were even coming!"

"I'm trying, 'Suo." Naruto said quietly, holding his brother's gaze.

"Try harder, Naru." Katsuo snapped. "I love those kids as if they were my own children, and I love Hinata as if she was my very own sister. I hate seeing her in pain, and I hate seeing them be disappointed every time you don't make it home in time for dinner. I hate that I have to be some sort of replacement for you. I hate that I can only distract them for so long."

"Katsuo."

"You are better than that." He lowered his voice. "I love you too much to let this come between us, but you have to promise me that you'll try harder. Please."

Naruto nodded, a small smile appearing on his face. "I will. You know I'd never lie to you, 'Suo."

"I know." Katsuo punched the man in the arm, earning a 'Hey!' and a blow to his bicep.

"Thanks for keeping me in line. I love you."

"I love you too, Nii-san."

NOTE
omfg y'all im so sorry you had to wait this long for a new chapter. i had intense writers block + all ap classes with summer work so its been hard.  anyways my friends showed me this fanart edit they made and its basically life bc katsuo and kakashi are literally the best. i also want to make a katsuo fic so bad but its just a thought. anyway, im back! (btw the red streaks are jiraiya esq.)

-theanimesociety x