7: Mind Games

Cole was in turmoil. He was so uncertain about what had actually happened when Nya came to his room, that he felt physically unable to talk to anyone through guilt. Though he wasn't even sure if there was anything to feel guilty about. Nya had been in his room, this much he knew. He remembered sitting on the bed and Nya coming over to him, but that was all, apart from a deep feeling of unease.

Nya had made no move to particularly talk to him since. In fact she was quite happily continuing with her day to day routine with Jay. So much so that he had been unable to find a moment with her alone to ask what was going on. They seemed so happy 'Why on earth did she come to my room? Why did I pass out? Please, please, please, don't let anything have happened... No, I'm sure nothing happened, it was just weird'

'Cole?' Cole looked up. Having not heard Zane enter, he was now standing before him 'Do you need help?'

'Um...'

'With the weapons inventory?'

'Oh, uh right. Y'know I don't know why I didn't give you this job, it's right up your street'

'Because, I have been in the Northern districts, setting up the surveillance. Which is now complete, so I can take over for you, should you require me to'

'Zane, I wouldn't normally shirk a task. You know that right?'

'Of course'

'Thanks buddy...' Cole quickly rose before Zane could talk to him further and rushed towards the door.

'Cole' Zane called after him 'I have set up a new surveillance on the temple also...'

'Nice one, tell me later ok...?' Cole had decided in that moment to take charge. He would ask Nya what was going on. He strode down the dark hallways towards the Mech hanger, his confused thoughts running through his head 'We are close, but this isn't like us. We talk, all the time. We don't hide things or act weird. Nya never acts weird. She's as straight talking as they come. I like her, a lot, yes. But not like I did once and I thought she felt the same. If she's misinterpreted me for some reason, that's her problem and she's got to answer for it!'

Cole strode into the hanger, pushing the doors open a little too forcefully so they swung back and hit the wall. It made him jump and Nya stuck her head out from the top of a scaffold that rose next to one of four Ninja Mech 'Careful stud, check your guns at the door!' and threw a balled up rag at him, which Cole snatched from the air before it hit him in the face.

'...funny' Cole muttered in annoyance. Nya was heading down, nimbly swinging from the structure to the ground.

She breezed up to him, smiling and then pulled up when she saw his face 'Uh, you ok Cole?'

'No, not great actually'

'What's wrong? Is it... your 'problem'?'

He narrowed his eyes 'Yeah, you could say that'

A silence settled between them until Nya asked '...did, you want to talk about it?'

Cole was looking at her incredulously.

'Is Jay here?'

'No'

'Good, because I do not want him getting hurt by this'

Nya gave him a confused look, his forceful statement putting her on edge 'What's going on?'

'Why did you come and talk to me? I didn't want to talk about it and yet you pushed the point... and'

'Hold on, yeah I asked a few times, to make sure you were ok... But I wasn't pushing you. You're free to talk to me anytime; I'm not going to beg to hear your grievances'