23: Light and Dark

They took down some heavy curtains and requisitioned some dustsheets. Lloyd helped Harumi carry it all to the bunk room to make a bed; something more comfortable than a hard floor or the bare springs of the old metal beds. Harumi's stomach growled and they both realised they had not eaten for a night and a day.

Lloyd left Harumi and went to scavenge for food. He found the kitchen garden still flourishing in its sheltered walls and the greenhouses practically bursting with growth. A glut of tomatoes rotted on their vines but the last flush of fruit would provide some sustenance. Agitating the earth in the vegetable plots revealed potatoes and other root vegetables, hardy to the harsh but strange conditions. Focussing his energy he moved the earth, vibrating through it to shake the produce free. As the heavens opened again, he ran back to the kitchens and grabbed whatever pans and bowls he could. Laying them out in the open they wouldn't take long to fill. He walked back to the garden schlepping through the mud to collect his haul, then back to the kitchen where he picked up a full pan of water from the ground outside and went in. Harumi was entering the kitchen and saw him dripping wet and dropping veg as he struggled with the door 'don't think you're coming in like that' she said coolly. Lloyd froze and took a double take at himself 'don't move' Harumi said and walked over to take the pan of water and some of the veg. Lloyd hovered. Without moving away from his spot he was unsure what to do with the rest 'I said, don't move' she repeated and turned her head slightly to check he was behaving. Lloyd shrugged and smiled, indicating he had  in-fact, not moved. Harumi returned from the table and took the rest, looking up at him a half smile on her face. He watched her calm walk back to the table where she once again placed the remaining veg and turned, leaning against it, to look at him.

'So I just have to wait here until I dry off?' Lloyd asked with a laugh.

Harumi considered this, but then shook her head. With a slow pout she replied 'no' bit her lip slightly and smiled. She tried to stop the spread but even pursing her lips couldn't disguise that something had captured her thoughts.

Lloyd snorted a laugh 'you gonna let me in on the joke?'

She looked up through her long hair and walked over to him again 'let me help you' she said and began to undress him.

'Oh' Lloyd said 'I like this joke, it's a good one'

'The best' Harumi breathed 'You know?' she said as she peeled the wet tunic from his back 'you could just microwave yourself dry?'

'Mmm hmm. That may be, but what's the rush?'

Harumi threw the rain heavy tunic on the mat and came around in front of him again 'No rush... we can take... as long as we like'

'Oh' Lloyd breathed, falling into the rhythm of Harumi's slow dance around him. She moved her hands to his undershirt and started to roll it up, pushing her hands under the damp fabric. She lingered and once again felt the flutter of Lloyd's sensitive abs 'we were disturbed before. I don't think that will happen here, do you?'

'No, no I don't think so' Lloyd replied, his chest rising and falling with his heavy breath.

Harumi stopped and taking his hand, lead him to the table and sat him on a chair. Lloyd noted that the muddy footprints across the floor didn't seem to bother her particularly. Leaning over him she placed her hands over his shoulders and holding her around the waist he tilted his head up to kiss her. Harumi knelt. Unclipping the tightly bound gators around his calves, she pulled off his boots 'come with me' Harumi said as she stood and moved towards the door.

Lloyd followed and wrapped his arm over Harumi's shoulders as she leant into him. He began to glow. The warmth of his energy dried his skin and Harumi pushed closer. They climbed the staircase in silence and passing the large double height window, Lloyd's eyes were drawn out to the sea mist, a wall of grey with no focus. A flash of lighting in the far distance reminded him of the darkness that lay beyond the wall of clouds and his skin prickled. More silent flashes pockmarked the invisible horizon and he felt a foreboding weight fall upon him. He gasped and froze.

'What is it?' Harumi asked, turning to him.

'I... I need to go there' Lloyd pointed out to the grey void.

'Why? Why would you want to go out there? You said yourself, there's nothing but evil on the Dark Isles and... I don't want to be lured down that path'

'You won't be Harumi. I promise, I won't let that happen to you again. But, I was drawn here to Darkly's, after all these years for a reason and I think it's because of the Dark Isle... Its calling me...'

Harumi stepped back from the window a look of worry on her face 'Well... firstly, don't make promises for an end you cannot foresee... The Dark Isle may be too strong even for you to resist'

'Then we'll go down in flames together'

'I perish the thought... though there is a plus side. No one will ever look for us there!' she said as a matter of fact and placed her hands on her hips 'we go tomorrow. Now...' She took his hand and pulled him to her 'I would like to remove that frown from your face. I have a perfectly good lumpy bed made upstairs and kind of feel like testing it out!'

The frown evaporated and Lloyd grabbed her. Harumi scrabbled at his undershirt again and pulled it over his head. Lloyd pulled at the lightweight hospital pyjamas that Harumi still wore. They ripped easily 'Oh shit...' Lloyd said in surprise at the result of his tempestuousness! They both started laughing and continued to grapple at each others clothes, tripping up the stairs and discarding what they removed as they went, all the while trying to kiss each other.

The clouds on the horizon boiled and flashed and a small, winged robotic creature dropped down to look through the window.

Zane turned to his teammates 'I've found them'.

'Can we see?' Jay said pointing to Zane's Gauntlet screen.

'I don't think that would be a good idea' he replied and turned it off.