31: The Dark Heart

The Hub was quiet, from the large open ring to the rotunda above; the air reverberated with the anticipation of a silent crowd. Not long before, the space had been the opposite; a commotion of shouting, jostling bodies that burst through the large ornate doors to deposit the limp body of Kai and an angry Skylor, struggling against the hands that held her. Now, Softly glowing lanterns cast an eerie light in the darkness of the early morning; the crowd, well trained in the rules of The Hub had settled into the shadows of the raised viewing balcony and waited.

Kai had been thrown roughly into the centre of the ring and left to roll and try and right him-self, though he was so dazed it was obvious he was no threat.

As if in a twisted circus ring, Skylor span around seething, looking into the shadows to the quietly angry mob. Eagerly, they anticipated The Grand Master's orders their silence as loud as if they actually jeered and spat at the lonely figures. But she could give as good as she got and the flames she stole from Kai licked around her fingers; from her subconscious fear it glanced around her angry face, her red hair undulating with the flames energy, as if alight itself. The guards, having deposited them there, backed away from the alarming spectacle until the sound of a loud gong resounded around the hall.

'SKYLOR CHEN' a voice echoed out of the vibration.

She looked up in anger at the air that carried her name, seeing only the empty space of the large Rotunda above 'you speak a name yet are too scared to face the owner!' she yelled.

'Who are YOU, to call me scared?' The voice replied angrily.

'That I have not yet met you face to face says a lot' she seethed back.

'It says nothing, but shows who is truly in control' the voice calmly replied and the statement rang true in Skylor's ears.

'Control!' She spat 'you were about to relinquish a part of your control to me and now I am here, thrown in the ring like a common snitch'

'Yes, a common snitch. Is this what you were all along? How many spies have passed through my gates under your guise? How many assassins do you have prowling my walls waiting for an opportunity? Was tonight the night you would take it all?'

'Take it all?' Skylor looked suddenly confused, the realisation of how this turn of events had been translated 'Grand Master' She knelt and bowed low to the ground waiting in reverence before slowly rising back up, allowing her body to straighten, to finally raise her head 'Grand Master, that our alliance had progressed as far as this; that you believed in the integrity of The House of Chen and myself at its helm is testament to your wisdom and ingenuity in business. You are a wise and powerful Lord and Master, who cannot and has not been fooled'

'Ha ha ha! Only a fool believes he can't be fooled... or sweet talked by an ambitious beauty with the desire to surpass even her fathers notoriety'

'It is true what you say, especially that I wish to surpass my father in every way, except in his madness'

'Your father was mad and because of it, he never came close to working with The House of Shadows. It wasn't for want of him trying and perhaps I drove him madder for my silence towards him' said the voice, laughing cruelly.

'My father did not deserve your esteem and in the end he did not deserve mine. His madness had passed beyond forgiveness into folly'

'I know of what you speak. The Tournament!'

'Yes Grand Master. Until that time I had been a compliant servant to the House of Chen and to my father as its figurehead. But it soon became apparent that his madness was true insanity and I feared for the future of my name' Skylor waited for a response, but silence filled the void and from the corner of her eye she could see the prone figure of Kai start to move.

'Speak' the voice demanded. Skylor took a step, her gaze averted to the possible danger just yards from her 'SPEAK' the voice roared again.

'Grand Master, the Ninja should be restrained'

'You will have no trouble from him'

Skylor saw the doors open and two small ninja enter the space. They walked through the silent bodies that lined the balcony, coming to stand at the top of the steps that lead down to the ring and waited. She took a deep breath to steady her nerves 'Grand Master. My father was a brilliant man, but it is only a short step between brilliance and madness and the Tournament was that final step. Instead of nurturing and turning power to his gain he pit power against power for his own amusement. He lured the valiant with more power than any could handle alone and buried the conquered in the chains of their defeat. Where is the wisdom in that? How could I stand by and watch him make enemy after powerful enemy against the House of Chen. Things had to change but that would not happen if my father remained at the helm'

Kai had rolled and moved to his knees. Skylor span in fear, her hands instantly burst into flame. She saw the flicker of confusion in Kai's eyes, before they closed and he fell to the floor once again. The smaller of the two ninja had silently crept down the steps to prowl at the edge of the ring and the other was whispering to a servant, who scurried off into the darkness. Again Skylor calmed herself and continued 'the Elemental Ninja were the strongest, a team who were looking to take control of the farce. The majority of the Elemental Masters were easily corruptible but when they saw the tournament for what it was, were swayed to the side of good. If my father had been a little less insane he could have turned them to work for him before any of them had even met. Of course, the Team of four Elemental Ninja were different; trained by one of the sons of The First Spinjitsu Master and chaperoned by the other; they would be hard to turn. But an opportunity presented itself and in it I saw the future of The House and my name'

A smile spread across her face and igniting the fire back to her hands, she span in the space for effect. The flames grew and licked the air as she turned and moved elegantly over to her fallen lover 'he is a sorry sight now' she said as she stood above him. Kai's eyes flickered and looked groggily into hers 'but back then, he was quite a sight to behold and he was very obviously taken with the sight of me!'

Kai tried to reach out his hand to her, in anger or for help, Skylor could not tell but could see that he was no threat and kicked it away. Silently Kai croaked a single word 'why?'

She knelt down to him 'because, it was time for me to take over my fathers seat and become the head of the House. Allying with you, your team and the rest of the Elemental Ninja was the obvious way to achieve this. When the dust settled, I thought I would be able to turn you and with you the rest of your team, but it soon became apparent that was not going to happen. I could have cut my losses there, but I had a preferential seat at the inner circle of Ninjago's Headquarters for Good and was in a prime position to hear of any intelligence pertaining to the restructuring and future movements of The House of Chen. Why would I give that up? The fact that everybody thought it was dissolved and I was simply running a chain of noodle restaurants is frankly hilarious... I mean, ME! Running a noodle restaurant?' Skylor stopped, raised her flaming hands to the silent eyes surrounding her 'I am the Master of The House of Chen' She roared. The crowd surged forward, drawn to her, jostling to see her magnificence, whispers of awe snaked around the hall. She slowly circled Kai, soaking up the crowds' appreciation. Shaking her head in disbelief, she laughed down at Kai 'I'll tell you now, you read me wrong and that has given me so much satisfaction... and not just because you proved to be such an attentive and generous lover' she chuckled 'I really did make use of every perk that came with the job!' Again, Skylor knelt and whispered for Kai alone to hear 'all that time, you really were in bed with the enemy and never knew'

Kai closed his eyes, succumbing to the horror of her deceit. As soon as he had seen her in the courtyard, surrounded by guards and henchman, ninja and envoys, flag bearers and glowing lanterns; he knew. He knew and he could not control the anger and fear of what that meant and what his team would think of him. He had failed so completely. Failed them, failed himself and failed the city.

He felt sick to his core.