46: Reunions

Lloyd followed the drone, its ominous silence only serving to enhance his feeling of dread. He kept his sight firmly locked on the device, its diaphanous wings buzzing furiously. Zane was never silent. He could carry on multiple tasks at any one time and the drone was yet another extension of his consciousness, a vehicle to see and communicate that had now been suddenly muted. Was Zane even in control of it, or was it now simply a guide?

The sun had peaked over the horizon casting long soft shadows. In the distance a sooty smudge wound its way through the golden light and he knew it would mark his destination. As he flew out of the long night, he hoped that this new dawn would find his teammates unharmed.

Zane sensed Lloyds Dragon before he saw it and turned to view the great beast in the distance. He stopped momentarily to watch it move forwards as if in slow motion. In the hazy atmosphere of morning light it was an unreal sight, the great wings of the dragon beating gravity into submission. He regretted deeply abandoning his team but knew he had no choice. Something terrible had happened to Pixal and his existence, as he perceived it seemed to hang in the balance. He could feel it; not just an uncertain sense of fear but as a physical pain in the part of his soul he had once shared with her. He realised they were now bound by more than just compatibility, their lives were defined and sustained by each other and Pixal required power, power that was being drawn from him and he would willingly give her more, every last atom of his being if only he could reach her.

Time was crucial, if he exerted himself he may affect the power link to Pixal, but slowly making his way back on foot could be disastrous for her, he was her lifeline and she was hanging on by the thinnest of strands. Watching Lloyd approaching fast in the distance, he readied himself to call his own dragon. Zane's link to his dragon was strong, but it required concentration of a different kind; a kind that could not be explained or theorised and asked himself 'Could this limit what power is available for Pixal?' and found he did not know the answer. Something that very rarely happened and unable to process an answer, forced a decision instead. He would take the risk; he would fly and fly and fast. Zane pulled at the strings that bound him to his dragon and from the icy shards that grew outwards from his core, the great Ice Dragon shattered into existence beneath him. Zane reached an urgent hand to its sharp mane and the Dragon responded immediately, propelling itself skyward. The icy haze that billowed in its wake merged with the clouds above as he and the dragon made a hidden retreat from his approaching friend. Zane could feel the link to Pixal ebb but she was still there. He would monitor their link and as long as he could sense her, it would be all right. It had to be.

Lloyd noticed the flash of light, like a mirror in the distance and knew at once it was his silent friend. Sitting back he released his concern in a long sigh, yet felt the weight of the unknown still pressing on him. He knew little to nothing about what had happened to his friends and why Zane was now alone and going where exactly? He wanted to follow, but the Drone continued in the direction of the smoke and so he continued as Zane wished until the dragon reached the edge of the Northern Suburb and the sooty beacon.

Circling around the plume of smoke Lloyd looked in horror at the scorched wedge across the deserted square, a directional blast that would have wreaked immediate havoc and surveyed the extensive fire damage. Kai's flames had rolled across the now deserted square, consuming the plants and trees like hungry locusts and painted the buildings, rendering them black 'By the Masters', Kai! What in all the realms could have happened, that you should do this?'

Lloyd's dragon bucked, pulling out of the mesmerising spiral and jolted Lloyd out of his trance. He looked around to see what could have caused the reaction from his dragon and saw the scurry of hundreds of people, flooding around nearby buildings. What is this place? He asked himself as he scanned the suburb that spread before him. Apart from the concentrated flow of people there was nothing there, no cordons, no emergency vehicles, no other movement... at all! Is the whole district under siege?  He looked again and saw the roads, the alleyways, the Gates and linked buildings. The Settlement that he found was more than he could have imagined. The shadows had cast out across the whole area and where it ended, Lloyd could not tell. He pushed his dragon forward toward the stream of bodies and saw at its helm Nya, Jay and Cole who were jumping and waving to him. The dragon instinctively dived and dispersed, propelling Lloyd towards the arms of his friends. In a few fast paced steps he was amongst them and felt the warmth and relief in their embrace.