13: Midnight Run

Standing on the ledge, Cole was pleased to have Zane join him and create a platform from which they could view the area. Coles' initial anger at Lloyd had abated. All he wanted was to find him and he wouldn't get very far driven by anger. There was no sign of them; the fractured mass of roofs that spread before them was a maze perfect to get lost in.

Both stood silent; one in concentration, all human senses amplified, systematically working across the vista; the other scanning the maze with his own simple sight, hoping to see a flash of green and white. Cole knew this would be unlikely and began to look for probable routes that Lloyd would have taken. He could not fathom what Harumi would think or do, so he was working on the assumption that as Lloyd had instigated this flight, he would be taking the lead at this point.

Zane blinked out of his reverie 'I do not have any direct latch on them but I can follow the footsteps a certain way. From here, they disappear amongst the roofs, but we should be able to pick them up as we move forward'

'Great. Which way are they heading do you think?' Cole asked.

'Into the city'

'Lets get after them. If they get into the crowds, we'll lose them'

Zane drew in his breath and focused. Pushing his arms forward, his fingers directed a stream of frozen moisture particles that multiplied and spread, forming a shining icy path that glinted in the darkness 'Be careful my friend the ice is not so clear in the darkness, but we will move exponentially faster if we skate'

'Take the lead my man, I'm pretty good at this now, but if I can at least see you glowing up front I won't have a problem'

Zane didn't wait, he disappeared over the ledge; a steep drop off, necessary to gain speed; Cole followed. It was exhilarating for Cole but possibly one of the only things he felt a certain amount of fear of. He was getting used to it, but his heart leapt every time he plummeted. Zane knew how to build a run; judging the downward speed, he would ease up on the angle just enough to control their velocity into the corners, rounding the curves, to slingshot them out; a rider just had to hold their nerve and strength to ride it to the end. Cole didn't feel too worried, with Zane's hair and skin glowing like a beacon, lighting the way, he was confident he wouldn't end up over the side.

For Zane, it was like breathing. He no longer registered his actions once the run was in progress. The technicalities and subtleties of the run, the mathematical equations required to judge the speed, distances and heights required to traverse a complicated terrain, all happened quietly in the background leaving him free to concentrate on their search. He had travelled to the farthest reach of his initial scan and started navigating new tracks without slowing the pace. He worked as far ahead as possible so he would not have to stop, but inevitably the tracks came to an abrupt halt at the roof of a city centre theatre. The plaza was crowded and the tracks had dropped down to street level. He could no longer follow them and they would have to continue on foot. The crowds had spotted the ice and his glowing body, standing astride the roof ledge. Cole nudged him 'better turn the fairy lights off dude' which Zane did abruptly and faded his suit down to match his dark friend 'Better' Cole said and added 'you look good in black'

Zane jerked his head around to Cole and replied 'black ice is dangerous' and lifted the corner of his mouth in a half smile.

'Oh ho. I see what you did there buddy... that's a good one' and Zane rewarded Cole for biting with a full smile.

Zane and Cole quickly made their way down to the plaza where Zane picked up some tracks between the moving feet of the crowd. They navigated the bodies through the open square and out to a bridge where the tracks continued and the crowds thinned out. As they followed them, Zane spoke his thoughts out loud 'I would expect them to have used the river, leapt over the side, hid their tracks, but... they just continue over the bridge'

'Hrmph, maybe Harumi can't swim'

'Maybe...' Zane trailed off into thought 'It doesn't seem quite right. The stride length is... yes, its different and the fall of the foot' he stopped 'these are not their tracks'

'What?' Cole said.

Zane was already running back the other way 'there's no time, they could be anywhere, I have to try and spot them at least. He took off, riding a run for one above the crowds, desperately trying to spot them; straining his sensors to hear Lloyd's aural footprint. But it was impossible; there were just too many people, so he began to sweep the perimeter of the Plaza and continued outwards using the buildings to support the great ice spiral that wound over the heads of the crowds who were now enjoying a cooling shower in the night heat. Cole looked up at his friend; he could feel the desperation in him and mirrored it back.

Along the river the soft fall of bare feet fell on the paving slabs. They ran and kept running until they were out of the city. Harumi, exhausted, had not been able to keep to Lloyds pace and fell and stumbled along the way, but she never gave up and pulled her self to her feet, drawing on the moments rest to see her through. Lloyd dragged her up when necessary, but now he stopped; It had been a couple of hours, they were far enough away to afford a break. Harumi dropped to the ground on all fours and hung her head. Collapsing further, she rolled on to her back and gasped for breath.

Lloyd knelt down beside her and took her hand. She yanked it back '...I'm... sorry' she said through gasps '...don't touch me... I'm about to die'

'Okay...' Lloyd said with a slight smile. He sat back and watched her, eyes closed, chest rising and falling through her hospital gown and her hair splayed across the ground. They had run down river to where it had widened, nearing its eventual end at the sea and come to rest at a deserted station. It was run down and the many fly posters indicated it was out of service. They would rest here for a while.

Harumi lethargically brought her self up onto one elbow and then the other 'Where are we?' she asked looking around.

'I'm not entirely sure. Though this old station will have something to tell us' Lloyd got up and moved towards the building.

'Wait' Harumi said. He turned back 'Come back, I feel better now. It's not really important where we are... well, not immediately important. I just... I need you here, with me'

Lloyd stayed where he was and looked at her in the darkness. He could see her, but only just. They had not had a chance to talk since he grabbed her hand and demanded she go with him. Hardly a talk 'Sorry about the way I dragged you out' he said. He heard a small snort of breath.

'No need to apologise, I'm glad you came. Though, I'm already up for life times ten, but you... Lloyd. It was rash and I hate to say it, foolish'

'Sooo... thanks then!' Lloyd said sarcastically.

'Come here'

He went back to where Harumi sat and lowered himself to sit cross-legged in front of her. Touching his check with her hand, she leant forward and slowly kissed him 'thanks' she said.

The temperature had plummeted and they now felt the cold air. Lloyd grabbed at Harumi's robe and pulled her forward 'Kiss me again' he demanded. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and she sank into him. When they broke apart, Harumi settled into his lap and Lloyd wrapped his arms around her, holding her against the cold.

'What's our next move?' she whispered.