27: Sanctuary

The fire was fierce. Nat knew the flames were coming before they were released, before Kai even realised. He was a loose canon, too aligned with his own needs, wants and desires than of those around him. 'He would have fitted in just fine at the House of Shadows' Nat thought as she threw Hitch and herself behind a large ceramic urn, just as Kai erupted. Kai's angry realisation at seeing Skylor was thrown outward into the square in the form of a lethal fireball. The back-blast of heat was searing; the plants and flowers ignited instantly and the small garden storage area they hid in was razed from existence. Just the solid silhouette of the soot-blackened terracotta remained.

Looking out from the sanctuary of the urn, Nat and Hitch watched as figures ran screaming, ablaze; flailing and turning as if there may be some magic lever to stop the fires, if they could just find it. Before them, Kai was slumped forward a shaking mass of rage, his head curled tight into his arms, his clothes burnt from his body. Hitch went to run to him but Nat held her back and pointed through the smoke to where an angry mob was descending on their location. 'This is a mess of his own making. We can't do anything Hitch.'

Hitch threw her sisters hand away and glared at her intently. 'There must be something' she implored.

'This guy is not worth it Hitch. He's everything you want to escape at the House of Shadows'

'He is NOT' Hitch hissed at her sister.

Nat grabbed Hitch by her clothes, pulled her forward and spoke into her face. 'Look at what he's done Hitch. Look at those people he has burned. They may be evil, but he didn't think twice about his actions and he didn't think twice about the fact that you and I were right next to him!' Nat threw her down and she landed hard on the ground.

It was true. He hadn't given her a second thought. She should be dead now. It was just pure luck that the Urn had been here to shield them.

The mob had grabbed Kai, punched him and thrown him down again. The dust and smoke whipped up. 'Time to move' Nat whispered.

Some grit hit their faces from above 'Hey!' A barely audible call followed. They turned to the building behind them and on the roof above, a grey clad Ninja looked over the edge at them.

'Who the hell are you?' Nat hissed.

'His sister' Hitch knew the symbol on her hood from news footage. She had come for him, but was too late.

Nya indicated to go via the side alley to meet her.

Nat looked at Hitch and tried to pull her in the opposite direction, but Hitch stood firm. 'Kai may be a disaster waiting to happen, but I like him. I don't want to trust going back into the House. Right now I'm free and I would rather trust in a new path. You can follow it with me or wait for nothing, somewhere else...' She looked intently at her sister 'Your choice'.

Nat looked at Hitch in silent frustration. Never had her sister been so certain, so strong in her conviction. She looked up at the Ninja above, who was anxiously looking around and beckoning for them to hurry. She shoved Hitch back 'Get going then squirt'.

Hitch turned. Taking a last worried look towards Kai she saw a broken man, being broken still; dragged and kicked further out into the square he gave no fight in return. She ran to the alleyway and moving further along she leapt up onto the wall. Using the crumbling brickwork to find finger and foot holds, just enough to make an accelerated stretch to a window ledge further up. She crouched in a balance there and reached up to the overhanging drainpipe, checking it for stability before swinging up on to the roof where Nya sat waiting for them.

Nat followed and the two sisters settled cross-legged a safe distance from Kai's sister.

'So. As I said before... Hey!' Nya said.