33: Is this the wrong time to ask?

Nya and Jay scaled the Ama's building and lightly running up the sloped tiles of the roof they stopped at the apex to take in the extent of Servant Town. The streets had quietened with the start of the working day, food carts were being packed away, where workers had shared breakfast and couples embraced until they saw each other at the day's end 'This is all so unbelievable' Nya voiced her thoughts to Jay. We could be viewing any urban street except, these people are starting their day and living their lives within the boundary of a vast Criminal House'

'And they probably never leave' Jay added.

'But they seem to have it ok. They have homes, jobs and families? How can such normality exist next to the slavery and exploitation of children?'

'Without this sub structure the whole House would collapse. If the workers are happy, then the cogs will move more efficiently, making the wheels roll smoother'

'That's very astute Jay, but they're helping to keep this rotten place afloat!'

'Maybe these workers don't realise it and are just grateful for a job for life; or are they slaves with some form of restricted freedom within the prison walls, who knows how they have ended up here'

'Oh Jay, this place is wrong on so many levels'

'It is, but Nya, we really must go to Kai... Zane, Cole and your friends will be in position by now'

'They're not my friends' Nya looked intently at Jay 'We must free Kai and then work to bring this place down and find a future for every child made to fight or work for their lives'

'It's why we fight' Jay replied in earnest 'It's not just about us, I know that Nya and in this case its not even about the team' He moved away and Nya followed. They skipped between closely tangled roofs and gave long running leaps to those further apart. Jay pulled up at a gap, where movement below required stealth. They both looked to see how they could get around but were distracted by a large group of young white clad students being harassed in a training ring by older Grey clad ninja.

The stress was evident in the group. The sticks that beat them through the training obstacles served to aggravate the younger ninja into an aggressive frenzy. To Jay and Nya's eye's, completing the course seemed impossible with the students falling over the obstacles and each other and fights broke out as tempers were pushed to the limit.

'What the hell kind of training is this?'

'This is what Nat told us about Jay. Training is just survival of the fittest'

'It's feral'

'Jay, look. Do you see that large Ninja' Nya pointed at a hulking brute in Grey, his arms heavily tattooed. He wielded a staff and seemed to take great glee in tripping and shoving the young students, encouraging fights and gloating at the underdogs'

'He's a beast'

'Yes and there are not many with that build in the world... doesn't he remind you of someone?' Nya asked.

Jay looked confused, but as sure as the sun rises, Jays face saw the light 'Holy heck... Killow. Killow has a brother?' Jay was aghast.

'Looks like it'

'Wait! If Killow's brother is here, then Killow would have been too. Did this House create The Son's of Garmadon?' Jay thought allowed.

'If that's true, that would mean the House was in league with Harumi and its aim was the overthrow of Ninjago. It could still be working towards that goal with her. We didn't stop Ninjago's downfall, we just slowed it'

A realisation dawned on Jay 'Lloyd! He could be in danger'

'Harumi is still in on it? Masters, of course she is! With all this distracting me, I almost forgot about her; but she's still right at the heart of it, I know it'

'Y'know, we could get some answers from Killow Jnr down there' Jay said thoughtfully.

'That we could, but there's a few others down there too, perhaps too many for us to handle alone'

'Well from what I see, there is a small handful of Cockroaches and an army of ants who have not had a chance to realise their true potential' Jay looked at Nya, a smile of realisation flickered on her lips and Jay continued  'I know this is an odd time to ask, but... you want kids?'

'Sure! A whole bunch!' Nya replied with cocky nonchalance.

'Wanna do something about that now?' Jay waggled his eyebrows at her.

'Oh man! What an offer!' Nya laughed and sidled closer to her boyfriend 'lets do it!' and they held hands as they jumped from the shadows into the fray.