11: Awake

Lloyd awoke as if from a deep sleep, slow and drowsy. He heard the sound of an alarm and far off voices; he remembered flashes in the darkness, desire and fear; skin brushing beneath his lips; a soft sigh that turned to a warning 'Harumi' he choked out, his voice hoarse and sat bolt upright.

'Well that's telling' said Jay with sarcastic distain.

Lloyd shielded his eyes against the bright infirmary light and saw Cole standing at the end of his bed. Together, Zane stood in-front of the door and Jay leant on the wall next to him 'Where's Kai and Nya?' Their faces were set. Serious expressions that held news and then tentatively added '...and Harumi?'

Cole spoke 'we had an intruder at the Temple. Kai has disappeared'

Concern crept onto his face 'and Nya?'

'Nya is with Harumi'

Lloyd released an obvious sigh of relief 'she'll keep her safe?'

'What?' Cole was incredulous 'No. She will never keep that tyrant safe. Harumi will be lucky if Nya doesn't try and kill her. But now we know where you've been disappearing to and where your loyalties lie' Lloyd fell back onto the bed and closed his eyes. Here it was, the moment he had dreaded. The fact his friends were silent spoke volumes and Kai was gone? Could their intruder and his be linked? He felt sick.

'Please' his throat was sore and tight, he raised his hand to put pressure there, to help him speak and felt the thin line of a long cut 'You have to understand. You have to believe me... and her. She's changed' They just stared at him, devoid of the words to convey their fear of Lloyds situation 'When I went to her, she was in a bad way. She was thin, not eating, punishing herself. There was writing all over the place; not just on discarded paper but on the walls... everywhere. I read some. In those words I saw someone else, a child trapped' He implored them to understand what he said, but their worried looks didn't give him much hope.

'Lloyd...' Cole gently spoke and came to sit by him 'the heart is a powerful thing and can over power your mind. Harumi knew you were drawn to her once and she knows, as we all do, that you care. You care about everyone and everything. I don't think I would put it past her to use that against you. Lloyd shook his head. Unable to accept Coles words, his emotions pulled within him as his taught lips held them in. It didn't matter how much he explained, they would never believe what he knew to be true, not just in his heart, but in his gut. Harumi was in danger and nobody cared.

'At least tell me how she is'.

-------------

The guard unlocked the door to Harumi's infirmary room for Nya. The slight figure lying in the bed subtly tensed as she heard her enter. Turned away, Harumi's hair spilt onto the pillow and she stayed like this, pretending to sleep. The last thing Nya wanted to do was be here when she should be looking for Kai. She had no desire to see Harumi, let alone talk to her, but the news of Lloyd's nighttime tryst and multiple visits to her cell had caused her real alarm. She leant in the doorway and waited for Harumi to acknowledge she was there... Finally Nya spoke 'I know you're awake'

'...Why are you here?'

'The first time we came to you, I made a huge error in judgement. I was swayed then, as we all were... as Lloyd was. On that occasion, I had been summoned, which to be honest rubbed me up the wrong way; I'm not one for waiting to be told what to do or say. But now I'll never have the privilege of being summoned by the Royal Family again; and I wish for all the world that wasn't the case. It's funny how you always want something when it's gone. Apparently you feel the same way... or so I've been told'

'...Lloyd'

'It seems you've got Lloyd exactly where you want him. What I don't know is if this whole repentance thing is an act. I am liable to think it is. It's kind of your thing'