37: The Swarm

Nya and Jay progressed towards The Hub. The crowd that followed was growing; the marching of determined feet spreading news of the revolt and more came to join. Guards witnessing the massing let them pass, slinking back away from their attention.

Zane and Cole could not believe what they saw and threw out questions to Nat who  shuffled her staff between her hands, but changing her grip was not enough to answer their fast and furious questions. From the swarm of protestors that approached, a white noise grew ever louder in her head; it masked their questions, making it impossible to hear them. The thousand voices grew and became overwhelming, shouting for justice and for their oppressor to be punished. She could take no more but the game would soon be up.

Nat slammed her staff down into the floor in frustration and swung it out to hit the large gong that stood on the edge of the pit. The metal resonated for silence and the crowd surrounding The Pit obeyed, their eyes drawn to the percussionist. The haunting chime was loud and deep and resonated through the room into the chests of every person present. It was a well-known sound but never welcome.

Beyond the walls of The Hub the swarm heard the toll as it rolled over them and they stopped, a fearful silence halting their confident approach. The voices in Nat's head joined her in a single thought 'death'.

Nya and Jay turned to their children confused, unsure as to why this sound could hold such power over a mighty crowd 'What is it? What does it mean?' Nya shouted.

The young eyes that surrounded her looked up, their faces ashen 'There has been a sentence...'

Jay grabbed Nya's arm as her face showed a flicker of understanding 'What kind of sentence?' Nya asked with force, holding back the shaking fear that threatened to break her words.

'Death' the small voice said.

Nya turned and ran, a single figure fleeing towards danger. The crowd watched in awe.

'uh qwap' Jay tried to curse but his broken jaw would not behave and he ran after her, closely followed by the swarm, inspired by their fearless queen. The sound of their battle cry caught up with Nya and it propelled her on.

From the roof, Zane and Cole saw the surge with Nya at it's helm and smashing the skylights they dropped down into the space. Striking the floor, Cole sent shockwaves through the building, warping the sound of the gong and they took up position with Nat.

Kai saw Hitch shoot out from the shadows and skid across the dirt floor of The Pit. He smiled as she took out Skylor's legs and when Skylor righted herself, spinning around to face an attacker she could not see, she could only continue to spin in confusion, unable to find them anywhere. Kai looked up at Hitch, standing bold as brass right beside him and smiled wider still. She knelt down and their eyes found each other again 'Kai, Kai are you ok?'

'Better for seeing you again' he croaked. She beamed at him 'Hot damn Rosie, keep smiling like that and I'll be fine'

The outer doors crashed open and Nya and Jay entered, their angry entourage spilling in behind them and broke through the shuttered windows to over run the unsuspecting crowd. Guards thought to attack, but found they had to defend and soon gave up the fight. Skylor no longer gave a rat's ass about this sinking ship and bolted. Zane slid a fine ice sheet beneath her and unable to stand upright she slid right into Cole who pinned her to the wall with his hammer.

Jay made his way to Cole and Zane while Nya leapt over the barrier to run to Kai. Hitch sat back as Nya threw herself at her brother 'Gah, ugh sis that kind of hurts!' Kai complained quietly.

'Oh Kai, Kai, you're alright, you are alright aren't you?'

Kai coughed for effect 'oh uh, yeah, maybe, I think so... don't feel that great actually'

Nya looked to Hitch, who mouthed 'he's fine' to her, so Kai wouldn't hear. And then explained 'he's taken a beating and had the life sucked out of him, but...'

'...he'll be fine' Nya completed Hitch's words with relief.

'Well I was going to say, he'll need lots of rest and...'

'...Hot chocolate' Kai added weakly.

'What?' Hitch asked.

'With marshmallows... cough'

'Huh! There's that hard life you kept talking about' Hitch said exasperated.

'Yeah, its real tough... you want in?'

Nya giggled 'well, he is fine'

Hitch sighed a girlish sigh and unintentionally replied 'yeah... he is...'

'Oh my Masters...' Nya rolled her eyes, gave Kai a kiss on the forehead and went to see Zane and Cole.

As the sound of the eerie knell finally died away, the scrape of a heavy latch released a door on the far side of the Hub. The door, inconspicuous in how ordinary it looked, opened slowly and a figure emerged from the dark recess. The once disembodied voice that had resonated over The Pit earlier spoke quietly but with no less force 'So my Shadows have rung for death?' The team turned and watched the figure walk into the space. He walked with a cane but his limp could not alter his imposing height and air of grandeur as he crossed the floor. The light of the pit cast onto his face and as he came closer it showed the twisted scars of fire burns. The realisation of who stood before them slowly dawned on the team. Despite the cane and the hideous burns, the other half of his face was as handsome as the last time they had seen him, yet was now hideous in its deceit.

'HUTCHINS!' They screamed in unison.

'Bravo Ninja and Nathalie my dear, I think you are perhaps a little premature; you know not, for whom the bell tolls' and a slight figure wielding a katana in each hand silently appeared from behind him.

'GENE' Hitch and Nat leaped forward 'where have you been? What happened to your neck?'

But their sister did not reply as they thought she would and a broken whisper was as much as her wounds would allow  'one for you'  she spun one sword, pointing it at Nat 'and one for you' then spun the other at Hitch.

'Stop! Gene, don't do this! You can't win. Look at what's happening here. It's over. His reign is over!' Nat yelled at her.

Gene shook her head and The Grand Master, Hutchins, the true mastermind behind the Sons of Garmadon, his resurrection and the death of The Royal Family stood beside his new quiet one.