36: The Dark Island

For the longest time, Lloyd had been staring at the jagged black rocks that rose from the sea surrounding the Dark Island. They were now almost upon them and the mountainous peaks inland were revealed as the lightning begun to flash once more, silhouetting the jagged teeth against the sky.

'Do you think we will have any kind of life if we return?'

'Hmmm?' Lloyd just about registered Harumi's question, lost as he was in the view ahead of him.

'Could you look at me please?' Harumi asked.

Lloyd turned to Harumi 'I'm sorry, I'm just starting to get familiar chills'

'It's ok. I probably shouldn't even think about it yet... Going back. But I can't help but think how impossible it will be. I keep forgetting I'm an escaped convict and I won't be allowed a normal life. Being with you, these past couple of days, it's all been surreal and beautiful. I... I can't go back'

'What do you mean?'

'I'm not sure, but I feel quite sure that I can't'

'Can't or won't?' Lloyd asked, a hint of worry in his voice.

Harumi was silent '...both' she said, a deadly serious tone to her voice. Lloyd remained silent, her statement was worrying and her face looked somehow drawn, her skin paler than normal, he saw her beauty like a pale ghost amongst the mist, her hand on the tiller, directing the boat to the islands beaches visible ahead. Pointing up to one of the peaks she asked 'What is that?' The clouds had parted and light glinted off a tangle of metal.

'The Celestial Clock' Lloyd replied.

'... and what's that?'

'It's a very mysterious timepiece and an artefact from before time as we know it. I believe its part of a group of creations relating to movement through time and space, much like the Realm Crystal'

'But who made it?'

'Well, we attribute most things to the First Spinjitsu Master, but this Realm existed before he arrived. I believe the Realms hold more than just worlds. They are the building blocks of life itself. They are all linked by either artefacts or portals and each of them has something that has an influence on the fabric of the world'

'And then there's the Destiny Writers' Harumi muttered, a sour tone seeping through her words.

'What about them?' Lloyd cautiously asked.

'I'm just wondering... How much free will do we have? How much are we led or guided? Are we merely marionettes in their celestial game and if so, is it worth even trying to find our way?' Her face was downcast 'they wrote my story, one that should never have reached the page. They wrote the evil that changed my life and the evil that held me captive; in thrall to a man, whose story they also wrote. The injustices of life go on and on and I ask how we can continue when we have no bearing or influence on our own lives' Harumi turned back to Lloyd her eyes aflame with anger.

'Harumi no' Lloyd began 'that's not how it is... I'm sure its not' He reached across to her free hand. Holding it he felt the cold that had crept into her skin and moved closer to warm her. Lloyd placed his arms around her hunched
shoulders but she did not lift her heavy head and he felt a change in her, something more than the anger in her words. He raised her chin and looked into her eyes to find them unfocused 'Harumi' he said but she did not respond. She had not melted into him like every other time he had held her and he feared the oppressive atmosphere of the island was affecting her already. He sat back and watched her, unconsciously guiding the boat forward her eyes gazing into nothing; it was unnerving.

'Harumi' he said sharply and her eyes snapped back to reality and looked into his.

'Yes?' she said simply 'Did I fall asleep?'