26: Kailor?

'Oh you have got to be kidding me!' Kai muttered under his breath. He didn't like being bossed around, especially by someone that had just managed to deck him and belittle him... in front of someone he kinda liked too.

'Get in there!' Nat shoved him 'There are people close'

That this person was Hitch's sister was bad enough, but it turned out she could hear thoughts... his thoughts! So, maybe he kinda deserved it... He chuckled.

Hitch looked back at him 'What are you laughing at?' she asked.

He grinned at her; 'she really is very cute, in a fuck off kind of way'. Nat jabbed him in the ribs with her staff; Kai growled and shoved it away to see Nat scowling at him through half closed eyes.

Hitch looked at Nat, who was eyeballing Kai who in turn was looking at her in a strange way... 'Hmmm...' she took a sharp double take at Kai, who held her gaze. Not really knowing where to look, she blushed and looked away. The corners of her mouth twitched upwards, this was great... She was finally attempting an escape of the House of Shadows and she had a stupid smile on her face for the second time in her normally miserable life. So yeah, life was good! She gave a slight glance back to see Kai still looking at her and a glance the other way showed Nat still glaring at Kai. How she would make it out alive, she didn't know; her limbs had turned to willow.

She felt the jab of her sisters staff and it woke her from her thoughts 'Thankfully I can't read your mind, but somehow I don't think I need to' Nat hissed into her ear and then sat down 'We're going to have to stop here for a bit, there's a party coming through'.

Hitch and Kai moved up to the ornate trellis and peered through the winding foliage that grew around it 'Who is it?' Hitch asked. They could see the lanterns swinging slowly as the party approached from the far side of the courtyard. The Grand Masters emissaries walked towards them, the Shadow flag held aloft. Beyond them the boiling figures of black clad ninja barely visible in the dark and following at the rear, the softly lit flag of the visiting house held aloft.

'I've never seen that flag before... but it looks kind of familiar' Kai mused.

'It's a rival house' Nat offered 'they're here for a meeting, one of a long line. Sounds like a lot is expected of this one'

'How the hell is all of this not on our radar?' Kai muttered then fell silent. Suddenly he pulled back from the trellis, unusually still.

'Kai?' Hitch asked, confused.

Nat grabbed hold of Hitches wrist and pulled her back from Kai. She tried to release herself but Nat held Hitch close and raised a quieting hand.

Kai was drawn back to the trellis. He moved along trying to get a better view. 'What did I see? No, no, no! Please no...' He repeated to himself as he scrabbled to gain a better view.

Hitch looked at her sister, who's calm voice narrated Kai's confusion 'he knows what he's seen, but he doesn't believe it; a flash of Gold, the flutter of Amber and a slash of red; the colours of heat and fire and lust that churn within him'.

'What are you talking about?' Hitch asked her sister in confusion

'His someone is here'

'What?' Hitch turned to look at Kai; his fingers gripped tight around the trellis, his eyes bored through a parting in the entourage. Hitch caught a glimpse of what he saw. Like a ray of sunshine through the swathes of black, the lanterns shone their ethereal glow. The woman stunned her. Immaculate, beautiful and powerful. This was his someone? Her buoyant mood evaporated as she felt suddenly small and pathetic and very, very grey. She looked back to see a black aura judder around Kai, his whole body expanded with fury. 'Kai, no!' Hitch whispered as a molten explosion ripped from him and out into the courtyard.