3 - Y/N L/N

June of 1942

It's been three days since Wayne and I went on our date and I couldn't help but think about it as I laid in bed. I had learned so much about him and he had been very kind to me.

Wayne is the youngest brother out of three and 19 years old like myself. His two brothers had already been drafted for quite some time, but he hasn't received his draft letter yet. He isn't sure when his time will come to have to leave and it worries him. I felt a bit of sadness between us when the topic of the draft was brought up until he smiled at me and said, "Even though I'm not sure when I'm leaving, I'm sure that I wanna spend the time I am here with you."

I smiled to myself as I thought about the date over and over. It's not like I haven't been on dates before. In fact, I had dated a few boys in high school, but my young heart had easily been broken. I had a good feeling about Wayne though and I hoped I was right.

It was Monday and time for me to get up and start my day. My shift at the munitions factory was set to start in a few hours and I was excited to see Wayne. I got dressed and went downstairs to see breakfast on the table and my mother on the couch fast asleep.

I admire how hardworking she is. She works nights at the factory, but never forgets to put breakfast on the table in the morning. I always tell her that I can make breakfast so she can get some rest, but she never listens.

I read a book as I ate my breakfast quietly. My father and little brother eventually came downstairs and joined me at the dining table. After my father finished his food, he gently picked up my mother from the couch and carried her upstairs to put her into their bed. I smiled as I watched him carry her upstairs. Their love never fails to warm my heart.

I read my book until it was time for me to leave for work. I tried my best to contain my excitement as I walked to the factory. When I arrived, Wayne was leaning against the front of the factory talking to some men around our age. He began to walk over to me as soon as he saw me with a big smile on his face.

"You're dangerous. You're gonna hurt me with your beauty every time I see you," he said, "Good morning, Y/N."

When I was just about to greet him back, he gently grabbed my chin and kissed me. It was quick, but when he pulled away, I could still feel the slight warmth from his lips on mine. Although it was very unexpected, I didn't mind. I felt my cheeks turn red and I could hear the men he had been talking to cheering for him which made me chuckle.

"Ignore them," he said and he looked a little embarrassed. "I'm sorry about the kiss. I shouldn't hav-"

I cut him off by putting my finger to his lips.

"Don't worry. I liked it."

He sighed with relief and put his arm around me as we walked towards the factory.