23 - Y/N L/N

May 5, 1944
Off to Europe

We had been informed a few days ago that we're officially heading to Europe. It really was no surprise though since being in Massachusetts makes it easier to get to Europe rather than the Pacific. We're headed for a town called Devonshire in England because according to Miller, there's a beach there that we can train on. I wasn't really sure why we needed to train on a beach. Neither did Miller which made me feel like the Army's hiding something from us.

After packing up our equipment, we sat around looking at the French manuals we had been given as we waited to be taken to the nearby dock so we could board the ship that's going to take us to Europe. The manual contained French words and phrases that we can use in case we need to communicate with French citizens. We had been given the manuals since we'll be heading to France eventually, so we figured we would try putting them to good use. Stiles eventually claimed he had the best French accent as we sat there struggling to pronounce words.

"I don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell don't think he does," Zussman whispered to Daniels and me, making us laugh.

"Who knows, maybe he'll get himself some French girls with that accent of his, " I told him.

"We'll see about that," Daniels remarked.

"Jeezus, how the hell am I supposed to pick up French dollies if I can't say half these words?" Aiello suddenly huffed out as he looked at the booklet.

"It's not that hard to say 'Bonjour*,' Aiello. Maybe you'll get the hang of the language if you actually try reading the words instead of just looking at them," Stiles told him, leaving Zussman, Daniels, and I with our mouths open.

"Maybe you won't have to have a talk with my fist if you shut the hell up," Aiello threatened him with a smirk on his face and Stiles just glared at him.

After an hour of practicing our French, we eventually headed to the docks and were crammed onto a big ship. We've been told we're going to be on the ship for about a week which didn't excite any of us. With so many soldiers on the ship, it felt very uncomfortable.

I made sure to write a letter to my family to let them know that I'm heading to Europe. We had been writing consistently while I was at training. They had been very shocked to find out that I had managed to get myself into the Army. They had almost reported me as missing if it wasn't for my letter explaining everything finally arriving at my family's home. They were frightened that they would never see me again, but I just reassured them that I love them so much and would do my best to make it back home.

Saying goodbye to Sergeant Miller was hard. Just like Sergeant Johnson, he had helped me a lot and I had gotten so used to him being there for me. He wished me plenty of luck and told me that he could see that I'm going to be a good soldier.

I also was able to say goodbye to Medic Anderson. I had spent many days with him and he had taught me a lot. I felt much more confident in my abilities to take care of wounded comrades and I hoped to save lives with the skills he had taught me if there was no one else around that could.

The thing that worries me the most is being separated from my friends. The soldiers you're used to being around aren't always the soldiers in your squad once you get assigned to a lieutenant. I really don't want to get separated from my friends, but I'm just going to have to accept it if I do.

So far, since we've set sail to Europe, I haven't been able to keep my mind off of Zussman. I've been trying to push my feelings away, but there's no denying them. I guess I'm more so worried about getting separated from him. We get along so well, and there's also the fact that we work well together which I had discovered during training.