24 - Robert Zussman

May of 1944
Devonshire, England

It had been a long hard day of trainin' and we had just gotten back from the shower tent. Hot showers were the best after days of feelin' grimy, but I knew that showers were gonna be scarce soon. Especially since Aiello was constantly sayin' to enjoy the things we have now.

I was sitting on my bed, waitin' for my hair to dry and wonderin' where the hell L/N ran off to. She's always willing to help out around camp and I could tell Turner really likes that about her. I like that about her too, but there's a lot I like about her.

I figured she was probably in the medical tent helping out soldiers who had gotten a small wound during trainin'. Being on a beach with heavy ass uniforms tended to make us clumsier than usual, but we're slowly getting better.

I was stuck in my thoughts, not realizing I was starin' at L/N's cot, when Aiello laughed and said, "Hey, Zuss! You miss her or somethin'?"

"What?"

"Don't give me that 'what?' bullshit. You know exactly what I'm talkin' about," he snickered. I noticed Stiles starting to perk up and pay attention to our conversation. I turned towards him.

"Y'know what he's talkin' about, Stiles?" I asked him.

"Zuss, if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the way you look at L/N. I mean it looks like you two got something going on, but i-it's really none of my b-business," Stiles answered nervously. Aiello jumped up and gave Stiles an unexpected high five.

"Exactly, college! If you two are tryin' to hide it, you're failin' pretty damn bad," Aiello said, pointing at me. He crept closer to me and whispered, "Has she seen your Johnson* yet?"

"What in the hell! No, Aiello!" I pushed him away from me, "And we're not tryin' to hide anything! There's nothin' going on between us!"

Aiello burst into laughter and started slapping Stiles on the back. Stiles sat there and chuckled very awkwardly, most likely feelin' like he didn't know what to do since Aiello was actually being nice to him. Even Daniels bothered to look up from writing his letter to whomever, surprised that Aiello wasn't bullying Stiles for once.

"Alright, whatever you say. I promise I won't tell her how much you love her," Aiello teased and he went on to make smoochin' noises.

"C' mon, Aiello. Leave Zuss alone. Even if he does like L/N, that's his business. Not ours," Daniels finally jumped in.

"Thank you, Daniels," I said, glaring at Aiello.

"Okay, okay. I don't need loverboy and farmboy teaming up against me. All jokes aside, you sure you and L/N don't got somethin' going on, Zuss?" Aiello asked as he sat on his cot.

As soon as those words left his mouth, L/N walked in and my eyes went wide. Aiello turned around and saw her and immediately looked at me apologetically. L/N sat on her bed and drank from her canteen. She looked around at us as silence filled the room.

"Well, jeez. Hello to you all too," she joked. We chuckled and greeted her as Aiello and I looked at each other with relief.

We talked for a bit before Turner came over and told us to get some sleep. He explained how we only have a few weeks of trainin' left and how we have a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

As I laid in bed tryin' to doze off, I thought about L/N and how much my feelings had grown for her. I thought about what happened between us when we went to Boston and couldn't help but feel like I was floatin' on a cloud.

It's true, I do like her, but I'm not sure if I should act on my feelings. Especially since I ain't even sure if we're gonna be alive in a couple of weeks. It's one hell of a situation I never thought I'd get into while in the Army.

~ ~ ~

* "Johnson": kind of self-explanatory but basically the male sexual organ