25 - Robert Zussman

May of 1944
Woolacombe Beach
Devonshire, England

My squad and I had just finished another day of trainin'. Lieutenant Turner and Sergeant Pierson had taught us how to use Bangalore torpedoes. We feel a bit confused when it comes to what we are trainin' for because we really don't know what we are goin' up against. We only know that we're going to be invadin' a beach, so it's a bit nerve-wracking not knowing much.

Lieutenant Turner had just finished up his lesson on how to set off the Bangalore and he wanted us to start marchin' back to camp. We started to gather up our equipment.

"Good work today, soldiers. I'm gonna pack up these Bangalores into one of the trucks. Start marching when you all are ready," Turner told us and walked off with Sergeant Pierson who gave us a cold stare as he trailed 'em.

"If looks could kill, I'd be dead because of that man," I told my squad and they nodded in agreement.

As I brushed sand off of me, I couldn't help but make small glances towards L/N. It had become a habit of mine and it was beginning to feel like my eyes were drawn to her. I don't just do it to admire how beautiful I think she is, but I like to also make sure she's safe. I haven't met a woman before who's made me feel the way she does and I can't help but feel protective of her. She had caught me looking at her before and I always worried she would think terribly of me, but I think she knows that I mean no harm. She tends to smile at me and I've seen a slight blush on her cheeks before; It's a lovely sight.

She ran off to talk to some medic nearby real quick and as she was coming back, I walked towards her. I could feel my squad's eyes on me and I figured they probably had smirks on their faces and were probably glancing at each other. She smiled at me as we stopped right in front of each other.

"Another successful day of trainin', dontcha think?" I told her and I quickly raised my hand to give her a high five. Instead of receiving a high five back, I couldn't believe the sight in front of me. There in front of me was L/N looking absolutely terrified. Her eyes were closed tightly. Her arms were raised like she was trying to shield herself. She quickly got out of her terrified state and I could do nothing but look at her in shock. I didn't know what to say.

Her face was filled with embarrassment. She cleared her throat and quickly walked off in the direction to camp. I knew better than to chase after her since I could tell she wanted to be left alone. Aiello, Stiles, and Daniels all had shocked expressions on their faces when I turned towards them. We had no idea what just happened. It had happened so quickly that it was taking a while for it to sink in.

All of a sudden, Pierson stormed towards us and snapped us out of our moment of shock.

"Get a move on, men! We don't got all day to wait for your asses! Let's go, let's go!"

We quietly marched to camp and every now and then we'd take a look at L/N who was farther ahead than us. We were worried about her but we didn't know what to do. It took a lot out of us to not go and walk with her since we didn't want to bother her.

I fidgeted with my knife as I marched quietly. I couldn't get her face that had been full of fear out of my mind. I felt terrible even though I hadn't done anything to put fear into her like that. I could never do something like that nor would I want to. It made me curious to know what had happened to her back at home. It made me think back to that long story she said she had when I had asked her if she had used a gun before back in the states.

When we arrived at camp, I spotted L/N heading towards the medical tent as the boys and I headed for our tent. As soon as we got to the tent, I sat on my cot with a sigh.