Chapter 9

Happy 200+ reads! Should I do this for every hundred the story gets? Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story, it means a lot. I only noticed the ranks now and it's all thanks to you guys:)

(rankings at the top)

Which reminds me... No, Marcus and Lily won''t have their story. They'll be minor characters in this story. But don't be sad, you'll be seeing them a lot:)

Chapter 9

Charity

I didn't remember coming back home from the party. And when I got up, I was in one of my skimpy nightdresses and Zach's side of the bed was nothing but rumpled sheets. I didn't remember changing my clothes either.

"Good morning."

My head snapped to the open door. Zach was leaning on the doorframe, already washed up and looking the part of an executive in one of his suits. His eyes were devouring me from this distance.

"Hello," I casually pulled the sheets up to my chest. I wasn't wearing a brassiere. But I quickly realize how ridiculous that was, Zachary was probably the one to change my clothes.

He noticed too but didn't comment.

"Can you come down for a second? Put on a robe, they're in the closet."

"Okay," I nodded.

I waited for him to leave but he didn't. Instead, he stood there waiting for me to stand. Hesitating, I let go of the blanket and ran to the closet, the whole time feeling his eyes on me. And when I went back out with the robe on, Zach's eyes danced with mirth. We headed down to the dining room where Susan's eyes immediately fell on us.

"Good morning, Zach... Scarlett. Have a seat."

Zach murmured his greeting and I did too. Susan served me pancakes, eggs and sausages and I picked up my fork. The food was divine to say the least, and I dug in. But stopped when I felt eyes on me.

Zach was leaning on his elbows, watching me. "Hungry?"

I flushed, "A bit." Zach continued to stare at me, "Is there something on my face?"

He shook his head. I couldn't eat with the attention and waited for him to look away.

"What is it?" I finally asked.

All his attention was directed at me and it was uncomfortable. "I'm wondering how much you remember by now." I froze. "Or if you remember anything yet, if at all."

My mind drifted to that dream of making out inside a club with another man... and then that encounter with Valerie. Lie, my mind whispered feverishly.

"I-I don't remember anything yet," I stuttered, having difficulty maintaining eye contact.

Zach didn't seem to believe me but he nodded, "You'd tell me if anything comes up?"

"I-I will," I bit my lip.

He continued to watch me and it was making me squirm in my seat. I realized I didn't really want to lie. And as I opened my mouth to admit to the memories, another person walked into the room.

"Your request, Sir." Davidson came into the room holding a paper bag. Zach broke his stare and turned to his driver. Davidson handed it to him and Zach set it on the table.

"This is for you," he said, pulling out a white box.

"A phone?" I asked, suddenly excited. He kept his word from last night.