Chapter 25 Part 1

Quick trivia: When I started writing this story, it was long finished in my head. 

But now that I'm actually writing it... hmm. I'm doubting my story flow. I didn't realize writing could be such an emotionally-consuming undertaking.

Chapter 25 Part 1

Danger

Jealousy is an ugly color. Like over-mixing green and purple on a palette and coming up with an unnatural brown. A mix that you shouldn't put on canvas because it changes color once it dries up... turning even uglier.

"You really are something else, aren't you?"

And as I stared at the woman standing just inside the door of the office, I see it. That ugly shade of jealousy painted completely over her being. Like cheap paint that's been applied for a while, it was starting to dry up and reveal its real color.

"What are you talking about?" Heart pounding, my feet pulled me up to a standing position. My body already sensing danger and pulling itself in a less vulnerable position.

Run, my mind whispered urgently. Run before it's too late.

I'd taken a step away from Zachary's desk before I could register my own movement. But at the same time, Valerie mirrored my movement. Her movement was more of a stagger though and it made me stop.

I eyed her warily. The stick-straight ginger hair. The blood-red lipstick over tight lips. The glove-like fit of her dress. But most important, the crazed expression she was wearing over those features.

"Do you really think he loves you?"

Familiar. Familiar. Familiar. This face, this expression... I've definitely seen this before.

Pain burst inside my head. I gasped at the pain, my hands automatically flying to my temples.

"Such an actress," Valerie hissed. "What, Mrs. Harington? Is this the ploy you're using on Zachary now?"

"You're so confident, aren't you? You may be married to him right now but until when, Mrs. Harrington?"

The echo of those words inside of my head. Another sharp pain that left me feeling like doubling over.

"Get out," I bit out between clenched teeth. "Get out of here..." my voice wavered at the last part.

Valerie's laughter was like a hollow sound shattering the silence. 

"What's wrong?" she taunted, her voice grating the ears, "Are you playing at being sick now? I thought it was supposed to be amnesia?"

Oh, god. My mind was on overdrive. Valerie was triggering things on a different level. I was seeing her now and I was seeing her in my memories on rapid play.

She was actually smiling , maliciously. It was sick-- sick to see how much she enjoyed another person's suffering.

"This is just nauseating even for you, Mrs. Harrington."

My nerves were reacting to the name. How much? Just how much did I hate this person? And seeing her like this, how much did she hate me in return?

"Wearing different clothes, actually coming here to his office! Getting on Zachary's good side, who are you trying to fool? You forget everything and you're suddenly a different person all of a sudden? How convenient!"

A different person. My heart thumped painfully against the confines of my ribcage.

She was voicing out in plain words everything that other people made me feel with their actions. Valerie, of all people. And what was the probability that with her current state, the crazed expression, the anger coming off of her in waves... that she could still think to manipulate me with lies?

It wasn't a far-fetched idea that she was just about to tell me the truth about myself.  

No. In the middle of this madness, rational thoughts actually stepped in. I shouldn't be listening to her. If I was going to learn something about myself, I wasn't going to take it from her.

Never from her. The last thing I was going to do was actually believe such a person who obviously didn't have good intentions for me.

Against the pain, I managed to stand straight and stoically return her eyes. "If you don't leave this room... then let me."

I didn't waste time. It felt like the faster she was out of my sight, the better it was going to be for me. For this sudden headache. Moving my legs, I started for the door. If I could just pass Valerie, I would be out of this room...

And I guess I was really stupid to think that was going to happen.

She didn't exactly block the door, didn't stop me from going out by grabbing me and keeping me there.

But her next words were worse than anything physical force could probably pull on me.

Just before I passed her, just three more steps and I would've gotten out of the door...

"It's just a political marriage. It's not like you actually chose to be married to him."

And the rational side that managed to surface was thrown out the window in an instant. I spun around, facing her.

"What did you say?" it felt like my heart dropped into my stomach. My pulse spiking like some caged animal was trying to claw out of my throat.

I must've surprised Valerie too, because for a moment her face registered confusion.

She didn't answer at once and I snapped, "What did you say? What political marriage? Who was in a political marriage?!"

Her eyes widened at me and she continued to stare. 

"Valerie!" I shouted.

"You really don't remember, do you? You really do have amnesia."

Short update. Prolonging still.

Don't hate me, I'm still deciding how things should go.