Chapter 33 Part 2

I'll take the 1k votes as my Christmas gift. And this is mine to you guys. Do enjoy reading:) And if you find time, leave comments. I so love reading them.

Chapter 33 Part 2

Unlikely

I stood over the man sleeping very deeply on the bed. Zachary didn't say anything when I suggested we retire to our bedroom. In fact, he went straight to the bed and promptly passed out. In a way, it relieved me that he was taking his much-needed rest.

But relieved as I was for Zachary, the headache I had seemed to be worsening—or was it merely my imagination? Was I overthinking the pain I was feeling because of the latest happenings? I rubbed my palms over my temples. The sweat that wet my hands wasn't my imagination though.

Outside the storm continued to rage on and I knew I couldn't sleep. Opting not to lay beside Zachary awake and possibly disturb him, I got out of the room and headed for the kitchen—only to have my soul jump out of my skin when I flipped the light switch to find someone moving in the dark.

"What in the world are you snooping in the dark for?!" I hissed, clutching at my chest where my heart beat a startled staccato.

Marcus, with his back to me, jumped at my tone and turned away from the fridge. In his surprise, it took him time to sputter out a reply I couldn't understand. His appearance was disheveled as if he'd just gotten up from bed and he looked slightly disoriented.

As if finally gathering his wits, he scowled at me. "It's 2 AM. No one should be up at this hour."

At his mention of the time, I was quickly diverted. It was that late? I couldn't even keep track of time. But I felt compelled to reply, "Why are you awake then?"

Marcus leaned back against the fridge, gave me a long look for the sarcasm before answering tiredly, "Lily couldn't sleep in this storm."

Then followed a lapse of silence. Marcus disliked—hated me, even—and I wasn't sure I liked him either.

"Oh," I finally replied dumbly.

With him in the room, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do. I was going for water but with Marcus standing by it, the idea didn't appeal as much. So I stood there waiting...

Marcus downed the glass of water he was holding, "I'll go up first."

"Sure," I replied a bit uncertainly. He rounded the island towards the door and I took the other side, away from him, to the fridge. I pulled out a pitcher and when I turned around and saw that he was still standing there, I decided to ignore him. He cleared his throat but I didn't react.

Well, what more was there to say between us?

I pulled out a glass from the cupboard and poured myself water before I heard Marcus sigh.

"Look, I don't like you. What's more I don't trust you and until yesterday, I was even sure you were faking this amnesia."

That wasn't news. But that the cat was coming out of this bag was the surprise of the situation. Wide-eyed, I gave him my attention.

"Okay," I said with a tight smile.

At that reply, his expression turned wry. Marcus cocked his dark head to the side as if in acknowledgement.

"But at the very least, I think you deserve an explanation... at least one that would be enough 'til your memory comes back and you'll know what I'm talking about."