Chapter 31 Part 2

I swear Mara is the easiest character to write.

Chapter 31 Part 2

Gathering

I believe it was unspoken agreement that when Zachary took me here... we were escaping for a while.

But...

I remember the day I came back to the penthouse. The confusion of not feeling anything familiar. The frustration as to why did home not feel like home...So it was because the penthouse wasn't home in the first place?

And this mansion Mara was talking about? Was it...was it actually home?

A towel fell on my shoulders and I looked up. I just came out of the shower and my hair was still dripping.

"Zach..." He was in fresh clothes too. Probably showered in another room.

He was looking at me quite seriously, "Are you thinking about the house?"

I colored, "I'm not being suspicious of you or anything. I just—"

Zach shook his head at me. "Don't think too much about it," he said. "Right now you're supposed to be resting."

I nodded almost guiltily at him, "I know..."

Zachary was still staring at me intensely then he sighed. "If you're so bothered by it, we can visit the mansion after this vacation. Or we could move back there if that's what you want. The penthouse is closer to the office but I could manage."

But he was already swamped with work. And because of me, he was dragging farther behind...

"A visit," I decided. "I'm quite comfortable in the penthouse right now."

"We'll wait for you downstairs."

That's right, Scarlett. Forget about it for now.

I didn't realize the presence of Zachary's friends would be a great distraction from my thoughts.

The sun was starting to set and place was cast in an orange glow when I came down. The barbecue was beside the pool. Lily and Mara were sitting on lounge chairs, holding their juice glasses. Marcus was manning the barbecue and Zach was leaning against the post of the house.

As I came closer though, I saw their expressions. Lily's whole posture was stiff while nervously glancing up at her husband.

Mara's eyebrows were raised as she gave the two men disgusted looks. "Until when do you insist on ignoring each other? Or is it because none got to hit the other yesterday and that's how guys make up? Well, you can go down to the beach and have a row as long as you settle this matter quickly."

Horror paled Lily's face in seconds.

Marcus noticed quickly, snapping at Mara, "Oh, shut up!"

"And what? Pretend this tense silence is nonexistent? I'm not that thick-skinned!" Mara glared back at Marcus, "You're at fault, anyway. We're not children! Apologize already!"

"You're not my mother."

Mara gasped, "How mature of you to say!"

Marcus shrugged as if he didn't care for her opinion, "And besides, it seems to me you always side with Zachary. It's like in your eyes, he can do no wrong."

"What's this now? Jealousy?" Mara rolled her eyes heavenwards, "Well if you compare yourself to Zach, it's a no-brainer—"

I didn't know if I was the only one feeling this way... but the scene could've been a bit more serious. But I thought I liked it better than the scene inside the hospital room.