Chapter 40 Part 2

I have a job. That has to be enough explanation. I'm losing 80% of my pastime due to public transport and traffic. Imagine having to travel 4hrs a day to and from work. This is saddening me too.

Chapter 40 Part 2

Confront

"I don't understand you," Elise whipped around to glare at me, obviously frustrated.

Frustrated?

I should be the one frustrated.

In fact, maybe I really was frustrated more than I could comprehend. But curiously, my insides were feeling numb, my head buzzing and I felt dizzy. I'd lost strength in my limbs as I sat down on the bench while Elise and Sienna stood in front of me in levels and disbelief.

But I couldn't focus on them. Not with my head feeling like it was stuffed with cotton.

What the hell happened? What did I see? What was Sarah saying?

"Why?" Elise continued.

The blood that leeched from my face have yet to come back and tiredly, I looked up at her.

"What do you mean why?"

She flung her hands in the air and glared at me, "Why did you walk out? Scarlett, you should've confronted her right there and then! You should've gone in, went to her face and stomped down her accusations! Scarlett, that—that liar just! Ugh, I want to strangle you right now!"

Blankly, I stared back. I was really slow in processing things today. There was disappointment leaking into Elise's blotched face, dismay in her tone.

She was right. I'd give her that. I could've done that. Confronted her at once. Maybe in another world I would've. That was the logical thing.

But there were details in this scenario that weighed heavier than common sense.

And I walked away. My legs moving on their own before I did something I would regret and them following me out of that place. My legs just continued their pace, and as if getting tired, automatically zoning in on this empty bench at the edge of the football field.

I walked away. Like that. But my mind was in a strange zone. It was running a million miles a second and somehow not getting anywhere. Infinite circles.

Sarah was my best friend. And people may say, "Screw that useless connection." But they didn't know her like I did. There was more to her behavior, what she did, than one confrontation in the girl's washroom inside the university.

We have five years down the line and she's never done me wrong bar this one incident.

Do I judge her so quickly like that?

"I can't do that," my voice came out a small whisper. "I don't think I could do that."

Sienna who'd been quietly trying to blend into the background suddenly stepped in too, "W-why not? Scarlett, your reputation is on the line here. If word spreads—"

I shook my head weakly at her. Sienna flicked eyes at Elise and there was some sort of conversation there.

It was weird really, that somehow it came to me justifying my actions to these two. "I know you don't get it—"

"I don't. I really don't" Elise pitched in.

I smiled sadly, "I'm fine with that. But let's not be dramatic about this. A fake story is bound to die down."

"It would end faster if you'd stepped out and corrected her right there in front of those girls. You'll save yourself the later trouble," Elise pointed out again.

Elise was right of course. As I leveled my eyes to hers, I reminded myself the second time that she was correct. It was the easiest way out.

For me. Just for me. But not for Sarah.

As I replayed everything that just happened a few moments ago in my head, I was reminded of the fragile porcelain in my hand. I couldn't just drop my best friend like that. Not with all the knowledge have of what she's going through. Our moment in that backstage room. It was chilling my skin to remember her crazed words and sobs. This year had been too difficult for Sarah.

She would... she would shatter. There was no better way to describe it.

I firmly gave Elise a stare... only for my voice to come out unstable and breathy and ultimately betraying me, "There has to be a better way."

Sienna's eyebrows drew together, "How?"

The question of the hour.

Yes, Scarlett. How?

"Yes, how?" Elise voiced out the words in my head. Apparently, I'd gone silent too long.

"I don't know yet," I admitted.

Both girls groaned.

Elise shook her head at me, "Girl, you got it all—"

"She's my best friend," My tone froze them up and only then did I realize I'd raised my voice. I sighed, slumping against the backrest, "I have to talk to her properly, at least. I also wanna know why. But I need to hear it from her."

Sienna had a doubtful expression, "You still consider her a friend after what she did?"

I nodded, "I wanna give her the benefit of the doubt. It can't be as simple as that."

"At your own expense? I don't trust that chick. She's crazy if she could act like that."

It was automatic, the defense pouring out from me, "This is only time she'd done this. Once. I'd known her since freshman year and I should at least let her explain."

Sienna suddenly went in between me and Elise and me. "Okay, enough of that. Scarlett, if you say you know her well, we don't really get a say. It's her business, Elise. You're just starting a fight."

Elise whipped her attention to Sienna. She shrieked, "What? Me? Starting a fight?"

Sienna stood ground, "Don't you see? She won't listen to you. She's made her choice and she's going to follow it through whatever you tell her."

Both heads snapped in my direction. Elise huffed, backing up a step.

"Fine. Your life, I guess."

Sienna signed in relief then turned to me, "But last word of advice, I also don't trust Sarah Wilson. I heard things, even before today." She looked away. "And I know you wanna prolong this issue so you could get some answers from your... friend, but it really would've been easier if you'd just stormed in earlier and said your piece. But it is your name on the line and if you say you could delay it—"

"I will speak up. I would. But I have to get her side first."

"Fair enough," Sienna tilted her head to the side. "Then let's not argue anymore. End of conversation."

Elise blinked, "that's it? Wait a sec." She looked at Sienna then at me, "Scarlett, I don't get you. I seriously don't. What you're saying is you talk to that girl first and then you're going to save your rep. Those three girls earlier? I think you're underestimating the power of people who don't have a life of their own. By then it could be too late for you. And that whole better late than never thing people like to say?

That's a lie. Sometimes, late is never."

Back then, I knew there were blaring signs already and yet I didn't listen to those two girls talking sense into me. I was stubborn... and stupid, I guess.

"I still have to try," I told her. "She's my best friend."

I missed writing and I miss you guys. All I see is audit applications and Excel these days. I'm dying.

ANOTHER THING. PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

I noticed people arguing in the comment section. Please don't. Also, keep things rated PG. I keep track of the age brackets reading this story and honestly, the majority being underage. Guys, I make effort to switch words around. Let's be responsible examples to the younger generation in deeds and speech please. I delete comments. I really do.