Chapter 19

Vote. Comment. Fan.

Waves at @Stormrider65 and @Nurlman041 !

Chapter 19

Lily

We got to a garden-themed restaurant in the outskirts of the urban districts of the city. Whether it was Lily's or Zachary's idea, it must've been meant to be relaxing. But with the current direction of my thoughts, it didn't really make a difference.

I knew I was in an accident.

But I didn't know there was someone else in that accident.

Why? Why didn't Zach tell me about the other person? Could it be that that person with me at that time... die?

My stomach turned queasy at that thought. And in another note... I remember something that a reporter shouted at me during that disastrous party.

"Is it true you were running off with one of your lovers when the car accident happened?"

Whore, I could hear Zachary's mother accuse me in her demeaning tone.

A shiver ran down my spine.

The receptionist entertained Lily and we were immediately led to the veranda on the second floor. The floor was wooden, the metal tables with attached umbrellas and in the corner were palm plants in great clay pots. We were sat by the railing, overlooking the semi-busy street.

"I must be boring you to death."

Those words brought my attention to the person seated in front of me.

Lily smiled at me sadly, hurt shined in those green eyes. Of course, guilt just had to top-off the toxic brew of emotions within me.

"I'm sorry, I just..." I quickly decided to give her the truth, "That red car earlier left me a bit... jumpy." At least half of it.

Lily was quiet for a moment, deciding my words and offered me a better smile, "I noticed."

"Sorry," I said again.

"It's okay," she said then leaned closer to me, "Want me to distract you?"

I was immediately interested in that, "How?"

Lily's face suddenly turned bright red, her freckles becoming more prominent, "well... first off I want to thank you for being my friend."

"You're welcome," I answered with a smile.

She beamed at me, "I don't really have friends but I think its standard to know a few facts about your friends so I want to share with you a bit about me. And maybe afterwards, you could tell me a few things about you too. "

The thought of a sweet creature like Lily without friends saddened me but I didn't let it show.

"That sounds fair. Deal," I said.

"Let's see..." she thought for a moment, "How about I tell you how I married Marcus? That is if you haven't heard of it yet."

Why I would have heard of such story when I've never met her before sounded promising. They interacted weirdly during the party and it posed a question of how these two people ever got paired.

"I haven't," I replied, planting my elbows on the table to ready myself for her story.

Lily turned red again before clearing her throat. "Well... he was my senior in business school. When I was a freshman, I met him and he was in his junior year."