Chapter 22 Part 2

When I was about six years old, I came home after school in the afternoons to watch Inuyasha on TV. You could just imagine how frustrated I'd get when I missed episodes. So I promised one day, I'd binge it and finish the whole series. And that's what I'm doing now. This stuff is so fulfilling, I swear.

You could even say my first crush was a dog demon named Sesshomaru(For those who could relate). I had infinitely better taste in men back then. Tsk.

Hello @risareads and @AngelLove36 !

Chapter 22 Part 2

walk

"Who. Am. I?"

My heart pounded at my own question. And I was already expecting the worst answer. The worst of myself. Even as I asked, the tears were ready to spill. And his words would be the go signal.

But as Zachary looked down at me, one hand lifted up to brush stray hair out of my face. I couldn't help but flinch, something that he made no comment of.

"That's an easy question," he murmured. "You're my wife."

Why was it that no matter how chaotic my mind was, those few words were actually able to evoke a flutter in my belly. And suddenly, I was more aware of our positions. Him cradling me in his arms. The heat of skin beneath the shirt, penetrating my chilled body. My ear resting exactly over where his heart beat a steady rhythm.

To be this intimately connected to another human being...

He was warm, steady.

And comforting.

My mind was correct in assuming to run to him. He really was a comfort zone.

Watching for my expression, he carefully settled his big hand over my cheek and started rubbing circles on the side of my face. Something that made me shiver at just the sensation of. He seemed pleased with my reaction, a corner of his mouth lifting to form a shadow of a smile.

And somehow, I couldn't bring myself to look away from that smile. The sudden lightness in his eyes... in the eyes that were normally unreadable to me.

"Were you expecting a different answer?" His facial expression didn't change with that question.

Looking away, I nodded. "Yes."

He leaned back, sinking a bit into the sofa and bringing me with him. "The mother of my future children perhaps?"

Children? That was startling thought. So I was pregnant with our first child? That he wanted a family with me actually felt like someone wrapping a blanket to my chilled heart. A family with me and our future children. Why was that idea making me happy?

But a happiness that was so tainted too.

What would I think now? How was I going to reconcile his words with the things I was finding out from everyone else? Why didn't anything add up in this story to make sense? Why didn't I trust Zach's words and why did that hurt? And why was I afraid of the deep void in my memories?

How could all of these feeling be mixed up in one head? How was I going to hold up?

I let out a shaky breath.

"Why?" I asked, "Why do I feel like you're not answering my questions? Like... you're only diverting me from what's really important."

His hand continued to play over my skin, as if thinking.