Chapter 31 Part 1

(If you're reading this after the second time it was published, you're on the right track. I must've lost my mind when I posted this earlier in the day)

I'm late for work. 

Chapter 31 Part 1

Villa

I watched as the saltwater lapped at my feet. Wiggling my toes in the fine sand, I couldn't help but smile.

Yesterday, I was still within the white walls of a hospital room. And this morning, Davidson drove us two hours to this secluded area. I wasn't sure where we were going, especially when the car went off the highway into a private road hidden between the trees. Then it parked on what looked to be the drive of a small house.

"We're here," Zach had said.

I'd nodded then, coming out of my side. And it wasn't until I heard the soft lapping sound of waves and smelled the salt in the air that I realized.

"The sea?" I glanced around at the trees then at the building, "W-where?"

Zach was already standing beside me, smiling. He gestured me to the door of the house, "We go through here."

And as I found out, it was the deceptive back entrance to a two-storey villa. Our villa.

The building seemed to be naturally molded into the low cliff in one end of the cove. Boasting a thousand square feet in area, the villa itself was U-shaped, an infinity pool nestled between the two fronts. The roof flat and the whole front of the building was of glass walls. Sunlight constantly streamed in from morning until noon to illuminate the surprisingly homey furnishings. From the inside, one could always see the blue water playing push and pull with the white-sand shore.

The shore itself was a short and safe descent from the house.

The wind picked up, blowing my hair into my face so I lifted a hand to push it back.

"Does your head still hurt?"

The voice made me look up. Seeing the way Zach was eyeing my hand, I smiled and shook my head.

"I'm fine."

Zach took time to consider my words, "If you're sure."

"I am," I looked to the horizon. Something about the place was already clearing my head and I breathed in deeply.

I felt Zach's observant gaze on my profile, "I take it you like the place?"

I was already nodding, "It's..." I searched for the appropriate term, "wow."

This seemed to amuse him, "Wow?"

My smile widened but I nodded solemnly to him, "Wow."

He shook his head, smiling too, before turning to the horizon. It was my turn to look at him. The wind was blowing through his midnight locks, his eyes slightly squinted as we faced the sun.

And maybe it was the effect of the place, but he seemed different. It wasn't just the clothes—though I doubt I'd ever seen him in these khaki shorts before. He wore a thin white shirt on top and flip-flops on his feet.

"You came down barefoot?" I looked up into his face to see the crease between his eyebrows.

Even the conversations seemed so differently mundane.

I pointed to my discarded footwear some few feet away before looking down at my feet. I wiggled my toes again, "It's relaxing this way."

"Is it?" he was already removing his flip-flops and stepping in beside me. Our heads bent down together, we waited for the water to touch our feet. I would wiggle my toes and he would wiggle his as if in answer. I'd dig my feet deeper into the sand and he'd copy it. We silently played in the calm water and it was bringing a slowly widening smile to my face.