Chapter 15

I hope you didn't think I've forgotten about posting:) I had things come up at home and at school. In any case...

Enjoy reading!

Chapter 15

Help

"Scarlett!"

My unseeing eyes flew open to nothing but white. Mind disoriented and body shaking. I was sweating profusely and it felt like my heart was popping out of my chest any moment. I felt like I was drowning, oxygen unable to enter my lungs.

"Damn it," I heard someone curse.

"Red!"

I gasped. And in a second was slammed back to reality.

I was still in our bedroom, on the floor with someone's arms around me and he was shaking my shoulders.

"That's it. I'm calling Mara."

Zach. He was here with me, his head whipped over his shoulder shouting something behind him before turning back to me. His back was to the light and his face in shadows... but those blue eyes were glowing.

Just as they did underneath the staircase.

I felt his movement but before he could stand up, I clutched at his shirtfront with what strength I had.

"I saw you." And like that, the tears started pooling in my eyes again.

I noticed how Zach's arms stiffened around me. That paralyzed expression for a second on his face as he stared down at me. And I just knew he had an idea of what I was talking about.

"I want to know," I whispered weakly. "You have to tell me. I have to know."

"I don't know what you're saying," he evaded.

I just knew he was going to say that. It was like watching the doors being shut and bolted in my face and it frustrated and angered me in an instant.

"You were there! I saw you!" my emotions frayed, my heart beating wildly. And it was painful... still painful like all those things happened yesterday. Was that... was that really my Dad? And if so...

"Scarlett," my eyes focused on the man holding me. Concern was painted all over that chiseled face. A feeling crept over me as I stared at him.

Dark angels and cold statues, my mind whispered. And in a split second it was like I was looking at a stranger again. That boy beneath the staircase that my father favored.

My hand dropped from his shirt and I wanted nothing but to get as far away as I could from him. He noticed the change in me, trying to pull me closer and I scrambled back from him until my back hit the wall. I sat there tensely, watching every movement he would make.

He stared back, wide-eyed at my sudden actions.

"What is it, Red?" He asked in a calming voice.

That nickname.

A tear slid down one cheek, "How in the world did I end up married to you?"

Emotion flickered in those blue eyes before they turned stone-cold.

"Scarlett," he stood up, taking a step in my direction and I whimpered. That seemed to stop him.

My body started shaking violently that I had to hug myself to contain it. Zach tried to take a step closer and I panicked, trying to get farther even knowing it was no use with the wall already behind me.