friendly intervening

kaitlynnrose: my best friend is the cutest. just saying.

comment by erinreilly: I love youuuuu🤍

After the fight with Harry, I rushed out of the room to get back into my own clothes so I could get the hell out of his house. When I left, he was sitting at the island in the kitchen hunched over with his face in the palms of his hands. Tears were falling freely from my eyes as I slammed the door shut behind me.

Liam was in the dorm room when I got there, sitting with Erin at her desk. When I enter the room, they both look at me with worry.

"Do you want me to leave?" Liam asks quietly as Erin comes over to hug me. Erin nods, but I tell him no.

"No," I shake my head and push Erin back a little so I can look at him. "I need to talk to you, actually."

He looks confused. I sniffle and grab a tissue to clear my cheeks.

"What about?"

"Harry."

He stands quickly, looking at me with more worry than before. "Did he hurt you? What happened? I'll kill him."

"No, he didn't hurt me," I force a small laugh. "Well, physically. Emotionally, he's killed me inside."

I sit down with both of them and rant about everything, even though in the back of my head I knew that Harry would be pissed that I'm telling Liam all of this. They both look stunned by the time I'm done talking.

"What do I do?"

"I know that this isn't what you want to hear, Kait," Erin says quietly and squeezes my hand. "But I don't know if there's anything you can do. It sounds like Harry is pretty set on what he's doing."

Liam sighs. "I don't know, there might be something. This whole thing that's been going on between the two of you is shocking and it's obviously the first I've heard of any of it. From what you're telling me, Harry really does care about you. It's just going to take something to get him to face the facts. I don't know what that something is, though."

"It's going to take him telling the truth," I huff. "Which he's never going to do. I don't understand why he can't be open with you guys."

"He opens up to me more than the other two," Liam shrugs. "Him and Niall have a very brotherly relationship, but more of a brother relationship where the brothers don't tell each other shit. I've always been the one that's a bit more serious, never really liked the parties. Think that's why he's told me a bit more. I don't really know why he can't open up to Louis. They used to be closest out of all of us, and then we came here to the U.S. and something shifted."

I nod, taking in all of this information. Of course I knew who all of them were, but Harry never really talked about any of them so a lot of this was new information.

"Just how much is he hiding from us, Kaitlynn?"

I look at Liam and I'm not really sure what to say. Telling Harry's secrets seemed so wrong, but at the same time I wanted to be a petty bitch because I'm angry at him.

"To me, the things he's keeping from you guys aren't that big of a deal. To him, they're a big deal. There's really not a lot, Liam. But he's scared of what you guys will think, and if you'll still want to be his friend."

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," he mutters. "Unless he's done something monumentally wrong or illegal, there's nothing that's going to cause us to not be his friend."

"Maybe you need to tell him that," Erin adds. "Maybe him understanding his friendship with you guys is the key to him understanding his relationship with Kaitlynn."

// liam's point of view //

After listening to Kaitlynn rant and cry about Harry, I immediately went to his house. He doesn't answer the door, but when I try to open the door I see that it's unlocked so I head inside.

"Harold?"

I find him sitting on the barstools along the island of his kitchen. He's staring off into space and jumps when I walk into the kitchen. He looks shocked and confused that I'm here.

"Liam? What are you doing here?"

"Well, when Kaitlynn walked into her dorm room sobbing, I thought I'd come have a chat with you."

His head falls and he covers his face as a groan falls from his lips. "If you're here to yell at me, I don't want to hear it."

"That's just too bad, then," I sigh.

I lean against the island across from him so I can look at him. Once he looks up at me, I realize that it looks like he was crying before I got here.

"Harry, I don't understand what's going on in your head," I begin. "Kaitlynn opened up to me a little about what went down. About everything."

He looks angry now. "She told you? What did she tell you? Fuck, I trusted her. I shouldn't have done that."

"She didn't tell me more than she was supposed to. I tried to get her to elaborate on the things you refuse to tell us but she wouldn't. Don't you dare say that about her."

He nods and his head falls again.

"Listen, Harry. After listening to her cry, I learned a lot about her. But I learned a shit ton of stuff about you. I thought we were best mates. What the hell are you keeping from me? From Niall and Louis? Why do you feel like you can't tell us whatever it is?"

"It's easy to tell you shit," he huffs. "But Niall? And Louis? Not so easy. Every time I'm around them anymore, they're shit faced. I can't choose that time to tell them that I'm sick and fucking tired of acting like we're 18 years old and in our first year of college. I'm sick and fucking tired of drinking and partying and sleeping around. I'm tired of feeling like if I'm not doing with that with them, I'm not enough to them."

I take in his words, almost unsure of how to respond to him.

"Well, I'm really sorry you feel that way, Harry. I am. But you need to remember that the four of us were friends before the partying, the smoking, the drinking, and the whole hooking up with girls thing. If you'd open your eyes you'd see that we're going to be your friends if you're not doing that. I'm barely doing it myself, and Louis and Niall are still my friends. You're still my friend. I hate to think that you've been acting like somebody you're not for this long."

He stays silent, not looking up at me.

"Do you trust me enough to show me the real you right now?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Then show me Harry Styles. Tell me what's going on. We'll get to Niall and Louis later."

"Well, as I just said," he takes a deep breath. "I really hate partying now. And I really hate that every time Louis and Niall choose to throw a party, they choose my house as the location. I don't like getting drunk anymore, it makes me think too much. I've been writing more songs, even though I told you guys that I don't do that anymore. I have a minor, and it's something I really love to do. I'm minoring in photography."

"Oh, really? That's so cool, mate. And honestly, it just takes locking your door to keep Ni and Lou out. Or just smacking them. Whichever you find easier."

Harry chuckles and I smile at the sight. I could tell he was more comfortable now. This is the Harold I'm used to.

"Was that it? Just the partying and photography? All this nonsense over two very simple things?"

He nods, then looks down. "Actually, I take back that nod. There's one more thing."

"What's up?"

His eyes meet mine and I watch as a frown forms.

"I think I'm in love with Kaitlynn."