partners

@kaitlynnrose: 📷

"What I've just passed out to all of you is the details of your first assignment," my photography professor says as she walks to her desk. "I'm not going to lie to all of you, this is difficult for a beginners film course first project. But I give this one first to challenge you. To get you out of your comfort zone."

I glance at the paper and read its title. Human Emotion & Portraiture

"It may not seem difficult at first, but being able to build a composition while capturing, truly capturing, a feeling is harder than it sounds sometimes. With film especially. You can't look back on these like you can with a digital camera."

I read further. Work with one partner in class to build a composition that is strong and shows different emotion. Things to pay attention to that can help you include, but are certainly not limited to: lighting, placement, zoom, and stillness.

"You'll need a partner for this. I know most you are complete strangers, so it might be weird, but that's part of what makes this challenging and fun. I don't have any rules when it comes to partnerings, you can work with somebody as many times as you want. Or you could work with a different person each project. It's completely up to you."

She glances at the clock on the wall and then looks out at her class.

"We're out of time for today, it seems. I guess I should have handed this out sooner. My apologies. We'll chat more about it during the next class. Look over the assignment and rubric to see if you have any questions. Oh, and start thinking about who you'll want to work with."

I put my paper in my binder and grab my bag off the ground. Before I can leave the room, the voice I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear stops me like it always does.

"Kaitlynn."

"Harry," I sigh, looking over at his desk. I didn't know how to act around him after the other night.

"Partners?"

I shrug. "Sure. Whatever."

"Kaitlynn, wait." He stops me once again as I start to step away.

I look over at him again and he stands, walking over to me. "What's up?"

"Are you done with classes for today?"

"Yeah," I nod. "Why?"

"You wanna come over and play around with some of my cameras? Maybe get a head start on this project?"

"Sure," I nod. "I was gonna head to the dining hall for lunch though."

"You can eat at my house," he tells me. "I've got a shit ton of food. Kind of have to all the time with my friends. Especially Niall."

I bite my lip out of anxiousness as I nod. "Yeah, okay."

As he drives us to his house, I open up a text to Erin to let her know I won't be back for awhile.

to: Erin

heya bitchy roomie, going to a classmates place to work on photography project. don't know when I'll be back

from: Erin

okie dokie! have fun! and don't make a new friend out of this classmate, you're only allowed to have me!

to: Erin

possessive much?

from: Erin