second semester

I'm in great denial that classes start today.

After our New Years trip, it was back to reality for Harry and I. We both had to buy books and supplies since classes were only a week away at that point. Erin arrived back at the dorm and summoned me back with her. It didn't take much for her to get me to come back to the dorm room though, I'd missed her like crazy.

As I head to my first writing class, it sets in that I won't have any classes with Harry this semester. It's a saddening thought, but it's also probably a good thing because I won't be constantly distracted by him.

I find a seat towards the back of the classroom like usual, pulling out a pen and my notebook once I'm seated. The class goes as most first days go - the professor blabbing about the requirements of the course, handing out a syllabus, and students pretending to care - and we get let out about fifteen minutes early.

Much to my surprise, my curly haired boyfriend is leaning against one of the columns outside the building. He's looking at his phone, not paying any attention to the few students who had gone out this exit. When I stop about two inches away from him, he looks up. His eyebrow quirks up and he smirks.

"Already ditching class early? It's only the first day, Kait."

I roll my eyes at him as he slides his phone into his pocket and then pulls me into his chest. "You and I both know it got out early."

"I know. You're too anxious to get up in the middle of class and leave."

"How dare you," I scoff, giving him a small shove even though he's completely right. "What are you doing here?"

"My class got out early too and I don't have another class for another hour and a half, thought I'd walk you to your next one."

I reach up and kiss his cheek. "I've got 45 minutes and I was gonna go get a smoothie at the dining hall. Come with?"

"Okay," he nods. He winds his hand with mine and stands up straighter. "You want me to carry your bag, love?"

"S'alright," I shake my head, smiling at his sweet gesture as we start to walk. "It's not that heavy. Thanks, though. How was your first class? Was it your independent study thing for your major?"

A chuckle falls from his lips. "No, that's my next one. I was in my art history class. So far it seems kind of cool, but the professor seems like a total dumbass."

"Hm. Is that one a requirement?"

"For my minor, yeah," he nods. "Did you-"

"Harry? Is that you?"

We both stop and turn around. There's a blonde girl standing behind us, looking between us and then down at our connected hands in confusion. Harry's grip on my hand tightens and I glance over at him as he forces a small smile in the girls direction.

"Uhm. Hi?"

"Hi. How are you? It's been so long since I've seen you."

The girl steps forward, giving Harry a wide smile and ignoring me completely. I felt very awkward.

"I'm good..." he nods. He glances over at me and then back at the girl. "Uh. This is my girlfriend, Kaitlynn. Kaitlynn, this is Lexi."

"Girlfriend, huh?" Lexi looks over at me and then back at Harry in shock. Harry's hand squeezes mine again. She looks over at me, a small laugh falling from her lips. "I tried to get that title for two months. Good for you for doing the impossible and cracking him."

Oh.

"Well, uh, I have to get to class. It was nice seeing you Harry, and nice to meet you Kaitlynn."

She brushes against me as she walks past us. Harry turns towards me, looking a bit dumbfounded.

"Kait, I'm-"

"If you're about to apologize, stop," I interrupt, looking at him with a small smile. I push his hair back where the wind had blown it out of place and his other hand goes to my waist as I'm doing so.

"Just so you're not curious about it and overthink it..." he sighs. "She was a reoccurring hook up for about two months during my freshman year. She called me her boyfriend and asked me to meet her parents, which is when I stopped talking to her."

"Okay. Question..."

He nods.

"Do you have a thing for blondes that I need to know about? Because I'm starting to see a theme."

He rolls his eyes at me and reaches forward to kiss my forehead. "No. You dork. And even if I did, the only girl that I even pay attention to is you, so you have zero reason to be concerned."

I smile and meet his stare. "So I don't need to dye my hair blonde?"

"No. You're absolutely perfect the way you are. But you also have every right to do whatever you want, since it's your body 'nd all."

We continue our walk to the dining hall, picking up our conversation about classes like nothing had happened. It was weird, but it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure Harry is thinking that I'm overthinking it or something like that, but I really don't care. That situation is equivalent to Harry meeting my high school boyfriend... it's not a threat, and it's not a big deal. It just happens sometimes.

When we get to the dining hall, it's fairly empty. I use my meal card to get Harry a smoothie too, even though he tells me he doesn't want me using my card on him. He buys me food so much that I've got plenty left on my meal card, but I don't tell him that.

I take Harry's hand and lead him outside, over to one of the empty benches we'd passed on the way. Once we're both sitting, Harry wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me against him, pressing a kiss to my temple.

"Remember in London when you were asking me what my plans are after graduation?"

I look over at him and nod. "Yeah."

"Well," he sighs. "I was talking to one of my professors this morning and it sounds like I might be able to start with a job here as soon as I'm done with school. He's close with some producers in West Hollywood and they want to meet with me. I'm meeting them next week."

"That's amazing! So does that mean you're going to stay in the US?"

"Yeah," he nods. "Well, if my Visa will allow me to. I think I have to contact the government or some shit to let them know what I'm doing with my time, but I don't think I'll have any problems with that. I have a whole semester to figure everything out, so I'm not too worried."

"Is your family coming for graduation?"

"They are. You are too, yeah?"

"If you want me to," I tell him and then take a drink of my smoothie.

"Of course I want you to. You're a part of my life now, babe. You have been... and I want you to keep being a part of it for a long time. And anyway, even if I didn't want you to come, I'm almost completely sure that my mother will drag you there."

"You know, I haven't known her for that long and I completely believe that."