sore loser

kaitlynnrose: 🌹

"Oi! Why the hell do you not have any good alcohol in here?"

Harry and I both turn our heads towards the kitchen where Niall is opening all the cabinets. All of us are going bowling tonight for Harry's birthday, which is tomorrow. We were in charge of driving Niall, and Liam and Erin are in charge of Louis. Harry rolls his eyes as he chuckles at his friend.

"Probably because you idiots drank it all," he hollers in response. "We're drinking at the bowling alley, mate."

"Well you lot are taking ages! Let's go then!"

"Ey! Who do you think you are yelling at me on my own god damn birthday?"

"It's not your birthday yet, asshole! You don't get special treatment the day before!"

My hand goes to my forehead and a small laugh falls from my mouth. "Both of you shut up before I kill you both. Let me just grab my phone from upstairs and then we can get going."

I grab my phone and then take Harry's outreached hand when I get back downstairs. Niall climbs into the back of the Rover while I get into the passenger seat. Harry drives us to the bowling alley and we spot Louis and Eleanor outside smoking as soon as we pull in.

"Wish he'd ditch the cigarettes," Niall mumbles from the back. "Fuckin' nasty."

As I get to the front of the car, Harry grabs my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine. Louis and Eleanor tell us that they'll be inside in a bit as we pass them on the way in. We'd reserved lanes earlier, so we go and get our shoes immediately. Liam is sitting by our lanes on his phone and glances up at us with a smile as we approach.

"Hey guys!"

"Where's Erin?"

"Here!" She announces, coming up behind us. "Had to pee."

I give her a massive hug like it's been years since I've seen her, even though I saw her yesterday. Harry greets her with a hug as well, which makes me smile.

Once everybody is inside, we start a game. I really didn't know how this was going to go. I haven't been bowling since at least freshman year of high school, so I'm anticipating that it's not going to go well for me.

...Until I knock down eight pins and the other two as a spare on my first turn. As I turn back to my friends after the spare, my eyes meet Harry's. He's looking at me with a bit of shock and confusion.

"What the fuck, Kait? You're the most uncoordinated person I know."

I giggle as I go over to his side. "What? Scared to lose?"

"Well after that, kinda," he laughs. "I can't let my five foot tall girlfriend beat me on my own damn birthday."

"Hey! I'm five three!"

He raises an eyebrow at me and stares me down.

"Fine. Five two and a half."

Harry's lips form into a smile as he pulls me into his side. He brings his mouth close to my ear to talk to me quietly.

"S'okay, baby. You're small but you're fierce."

"Classic," I huff. "Very original saying. You think of that all on your own? Definitely never heard it before."

He laughs lightly and squeezes my side. Erin had gone her turn, which means Harry is up next. I shove him towards the lane and he rolls his eyes at me. I watch with a small smile as he takes his turn, getting every pin except for two - except they're split. He hits one on his next try, but misses the other. As he comes back over to me, he avoids my eyes.