Mr. Softie

Grace POV

The one thing I learned about Percy, is that he's not a morning person. But he was extra grumpy this morning. I found out why, when we ran in to Leo at the Hephaestus Cabin.
Leo smiles wide, " Morning, Grace. Morning, Mr. Softie. "
Percy growls, " Shut it, Valdez. "
I glare at Leo,"Percy is not a softie! Stop being a meanie!"

I slapped him at the end. When we walk away, Leo is muttering something about Jason being right. I slap hard. The sad thing is, it's hard to look scary since I'm so short.

Annabeth tried to make Percy feel better. It didn't work. She even kissed him. After, Percy still had a frown on his face.
Annabeth tried to comfort him. She assured him," Percy, you're not a softie. You are a caring person. There's a difference. It doesn't matter."
Percy asks," Why were you watching, then?"
Annabeth responds," I thought it was sweet. Leo was mainly there for the teasing he would get outta seeing that, but the rest of us thought it was sweet."
"Sure,"Percy drags out the word sacastically.
Annabeth rolls her eyes," Fine, don't believe me, but I'm telling the truth."

Percy was upset the whole rest of the morning. At dinner, Percy offers such a small portion of his food.
I point to the altar," Why did you give so little? That's mean, Percy. The gods are nice."

I had tried to sound mature and annoyed at him but my stupid lisp made Percy sound like Puh-see, and I sounded like I was whining. I also didn't know Percy's history with gods. And he has a long history with the gods.
Percy mutters," Like you know."
I ignore it and focus on making him happy.

I try and crack jokes (most of which I picked up from Leo). Unsuccessful. I try and recall the funniest moments of the day, which there was very little of. Dinner ends, and my brother's eyes are darker than usual. His normally bright, sea green eyes are dark and murky, like the color of a swamp. I run over to Piper, who is currently telling Leo something.
Piper looks at me," Hey, Grace. Do you know-"
I finish," Why Percy's acting strange? No. I was wondering," I rock back and forth, struggling to get the words out.
Piper encourages," Go on, Grace."
I swallow," Could you charm speak Percy to be happy?"
Piper blinks," What? Why?"
I gesture to Percy, heading to the cabin, cursing in Greek, his eyes stormy," He's been grumpy all day. Annabeth kissed him and he didn't even care. He's says it's because last night he was called a softie, and I think it's my fault."

Leo looks like a boulder fell on top of him, slowly crushing him, but not dead yet. Piper shoots him a look that says Leo, I swear I'll push you in Tartarus.
I have a feeling Leo called Percy a softie. I didn't take that well. We were by the lake. I created choppy waves, and Leo looked intimidated. This was not his territory. It was my territory.
I don't acknowledge that fact that hot tears are streaming down my cheeks.
I scream at Leo," You made him mad! You called him a softie just because I have nightmares. Well he's not a softie. He's a kind person who is way better than you if you think being kind is being a softie!"
Leo's face was hard to read. A mix of guilt, pain and sadness. His words were broken," Grace, I'm sorry."
Piper then adds," I don't want to charm speak Percy," She then whispers to me," How do you feel about pushing Leo in the lake?"
I nod," Ecstatic."

When Leo is muttering to himself, glancing at his reflection, then cursing himself, we decide to attack. Piper and I shove him in the water. He looks at Piper first," Evil," then he looks at me with his signature grin," Holy Hephaestus! It's cold!"
Piper helps him out of the lake," Have fun shivering tonight."
I glare at him playfully," Revenge is best served in a freezing lake."

We wish each other goodnights, then walk our separate ways. I do notice that when Piper and Leo think I stopped looking, they seem to have a silent staring argument, soon followed by angry whispers. They continue this until Piper goes into the Aphrodite cabin. Judging by the look on her face, she won the argument. Piper looks in my direction, but shrugs it off. I hope she didn't see me.

Piper's POV

After we got sweet revenge on Leo, and wish Grace good night, me and Leo continue with our argument.
I whisper-yell," How did you think Grace would react? Did you not consider she's seven?"
Leo waves his hand dismissively," Duh. But I didn't know Percy would be so, not Percy."
I nod," It probably is all the stress from the news he's received lately."
Leo sighs," Probably. But I actually want to sleep tonight, and who knows what Grace is gonna tell Percy."
I mumble," But Percy..."
Leo nods," Yeah. I don't think I'm getting a wink of sleep."
I twiddle with my thumbs, analyzing," If Percy hasn't been himself the whole day-"
Leo cuts me off," Who knows how he'll be towards Grace? I doubt she's gonna like the cold and distant Percy."
I order him," Wake the others. We're sleep-deprived, but we're not wimps. Go, Valdez!"

«»»»»»»»»Late at Night»»»»»»»»»

Leo's POV

We were gathered in Jason's cabin, since it was only him, unless Thalia visits. I honestly felt awful. Sure, joking around was fun, but not when Grace burst into tears.

We were waiting for any sign. Any noise that would allow us to come into the cabin next door with purpose. After many thousand yawns, and spicy peppers (no idea how we got those), we heard no sound. But Annabeth saw Grace's face pressed up against the window, streaked with fresh tears.
Annabeth ordered," Let's go."

We barge in, and see two things, Percy's fists clenched, and Grace in the corner, crying, curled up in a ball.
I rush over to Grace," Has he hurt you?"
Grace whimpers," No, but I know he's mad."

I'm confused, but all is clarified when Percy glares at Grace and I.
He accuses," Grace, you have no idea what the gods are like. You've never experienced what I have. You don't know. You think and assume. But you're to naive and stupid to know."

My blood boils. So does everyone else's. I know it's not an eidolon because his eyes are still green. I can't help but notice that they look dull and dark. So he's not possessed. Then what's wrong? I could fix a machine, but not Percy, much less an angry Percy.
Percy turns to me," This is all because of you. I'll show you I'm no softie."
He pulls out Riptide. He points his sword at me, ready to slit my throat.

Grace screams. Metal clatters to the floor. The door opens. Punches. Kicks. Then, I pass out.

Next thing I know, I'm in the infirmary. My friends crowd me. At least, two of them. Frank and Jason. But I don't see Grace.
I bolt upright," Where's Grace? Did Percy hurt her? What happened with Percy? Why am I here? Where's Annabeth, Piper and Hazel?"
Jason blinks," One question at a time, dude. Relax. Percy is in Chiron's office. He had freaked last night because of stress. Riptide slit your leg bad and you lost lots of blood. But you're fine now. Grace is with Annabeth, Hazel and Piper. The girls are trying to keep her distracted, since Grace saw so much and doesn't know what's happened to Percy."
I sigh," Ok, ok. I'm all caught up. Let's hope Grace is all right."