Prom Night 2.0

(( Oof, sorry for the late-ish update. I was wrapped up in the aftermath of season seven. And I was also working on Meaningless. If you don't follow my Instagram... it's a Klance book I've been writing on the down low. I'm hoping that I can finish it all by the end of August and have it published, but I'm not promising anything. I'm really excited, and hoping you all will like the AU it's set in.))

The whole vibe of the gym was completely different than it was for the homecoming dance. Keith took notice, seeing the more mellow purple-pinkish lights. There were decorations strung from the ceiling; they were draping down somewhat, but stayed above the dance floor.

Lance saw the excited twinkle in Keith's eyes as they came in, and he knew he'd made the right call.

" It's beautiful in here." The omega spoke, surprised that the school had put forth this much effort. There wasn't a theme like some proms had, but the color scheme remained consistent at least.

" You know what's more beautiful?" Lance raised a flirtatious eyebrow.

" I swear to God-"

" You." The taller boy smiled, not caring that Keith had seen it coming a mile away. It was true. In Lance's eyes, Keith was the most beautiful thing in that gym. The array of frilly dresses, and the abundant decorations didn't come close to his boyfriend's unconditional attractiveness.

" Why did I know you were going to say that?" Keith rolled his eyes, but there was still a dark blush staining his cheeks.

Deep down, he was a sucker for Lance's corny remarks.

" Holy shit! They're playing 5SOS!" Pidge exclaimed from farther inside the gym. She was so loud that the speakers couldn't compete with her.

Lance and Keith glanced at her, then at each other.

They were playing 5SOS, and even though it was one of their basic songs, She Looks So Perfect, it was better than the shitty pop hits of their time.

" So... what are we supposed to do?" Keith asked as him and Lance met with their friends, who'd grouped up near the corner. It was almost like a football huddle.

" This is a dance." Matt chuckled.

" I'm not taking Keith in the middle. No way." Lance hugged his boyfriend from behind, resting his chin on Keith's shoulder casually.

" Can people even grind with the big dresses on?" Hunk questioned, wondering if it was safe to go to the dance floor.

" People find a way. Trust me." Lance shuddered.

" Do you know this from experience?" Allura giggled. Lance just looked like he was reliving some very unpleasant memories.

" Oh, he definitely does." Hunk laughed. " We came here sophomore year and Lance got lost in the middle."

" Shut up!" Lance whined. " It was one time!"

Keith snickered, and Lance shot him a look.

" What's so funny, chuckles?" He narrowed his eyes at the omega.

" Nothing." Keith stifled more laughter.

" That's what I thought." Lance huffed.

" Is anyone else wondering if those cupcakes are any good?" Pidge peeked around her friends to look at the refreshments. There was an assortment of sweets, as well as coolers filled with cold drinks. The school knew from previous years that open punch bowls were never a good idea.

" How are you still hungry? We just ate." Matt was shocked at his sister's seemingly never ending appetite.

" Don't worry, Lance. I'm not going to eat a bunch of junk food." Keith sighed.